Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to GC to try amps, and I was suprised!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to GC to try amps, and I was suprised!

I decided I was going to ditch my rack and go back to a simple head and cab situation. So I went to guitar center to give the DSL50, which I had my eye on for awhile now, give it another test run and make my final decision. It was everything I remembered, cept my gosh I dont remember it being that LOUD! So I decided to try out a few combo amps, just to ease my curiousity. So Im jam'n on the TSL 602 60w 2x12 and the 2 OD channels sounded voiced the same! So EH. Then I plug'd into the DSL401 40w 1x12 combo.. small lil bugger. AND the damn thing blew my mind away!!! It has a Master Volume that the DSL 50 head doesnt have, which I think make all the difference in the world. The 2 OD channels on it were like night and day. OD 1 was all classic Marshall, and OD 2 was high gain marshall. So anyway I made a deal with the guy and Im gonna be posting my current half stack/rack rig up for sale and Im buy'n the lil combo. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Went to GC to try amps, and I was suprised!

I've got one and they're cool little amps! I do kinda wish it was a head though. Connected to a 4x12 they're even better... Classic Marshall tone!

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell:
      I've got one and they're cool little amps! I do kinda wish it was a head though. Connected to a 4x12 they're even better... Classic Marshall tone!
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I hear you can disconnect the speaker and use it as a head, but Im going to ditch my cab also, and just hang out with the lil combo for awhile [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

---

Well on second thought, I will see how it sounds through my 1960BV and if it sounds awesome I'll keep it!

[ January 30, 2003, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: Marshall tone ]

Comment

Use it through a cab - you'll be glad you did. I find it - like most small open-back tube combos - a little lifeless and brittle without the focus and low end of a closed back cab.

Comment

I hated my DSL 100!!! [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah I decide I will keep my cab and even if I dont use it right away I'll buy a cover for it and still keep it.

Yeah this lil combo is a totaly different beast than a DSL 100. The 401 has independant EQ's and a master volume which I think make it better.

Comment

Not to mention the EL84 power tubes. If I'm not mistaken this is the first amp Marshall made with El84's I love em, just wish they were a head and had more power. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              Gil

Comment

Yeah the 201 and 401 both utilize EL84's which is very cool. I wish I had the chance to try out the 201 but they didnt have any in. Im excited, just waiting on my auctions to end on ebay and then im go'n back down to GC to get it!

Comment

The 201 is basically the same amp but doesnt have the second gain stage and its 20 watts instead of 40.

201 are specail order but are available.
                  Gil

Comment

I've played these and they're nice little amps. Gil, Marshall has been building amps with EL-84s since the mid-60's. The famous 18 W Marshalls were bringing something like $5k last I saw!

Ross

Comment

Yeah I know the DSL 201 is only 20 watts and doesnt have the 2nd OD, but still I wanted to jam on it.

---

Sheit, $5k for a 18watter.. damn must be some good sh!t in there.

Comment

Working...
                      X