Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the change instant when switching with Midi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the change instant when switching with Midi?

I was looking at the mesa/boogie tri-axis (with the 50/50 power amp) and I was wondering if when you switch inbetween channel like in the middle of a song (clean to dirty) if the change was instant or if there is like a second or two delay. I was looking at the Tri-axis because I was looking at many other different amps from Mesa/Boogie (Single Recto., Road King, Mark IV, etc.) and was think that this way I could have them all.
    [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Nek

[ January 31, 2003, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Nek ]

Re: Is the change instant when switching with Midi?

Most all units are immediate... Certain time delay effect in the past, have been notoriously slow. But, currently I can't think of any that aren't instant.

Comment

Unfortunately there are plenty that aren't instant. Sure the midi changes the patch fast enough but some processors can't keep up with the change. The Lexicon MPX series are notoriously slow. Maybe they have an upgraded processor since last time I tried one. But there are effects units that won't switch as fast as the MIDI program change command. I'm assuming that is what you meant?
      We must!
      We must!
      We must increase the bust!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!
      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

thanks guys... so I should be fine if I get the tri-axis... the changes should be instant on it.
        What MIDI foot controller would you recommend? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Nek

Comment

Never tried one but I would think it would be a lot faster switching than some of the digital effects processors.
          We must!
          We must!
          We must increase the bust!
          The bigger the better!
          The tighter the sweater!
          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

QUOTE]Originally posted by Nek:
            What MIDI foot controller would you recommend? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Depends on what you demand from your midi pedal, how much space you want it to use onstage and how much you want to spend. You have a few manufacturers to choose from..ART, Behringer, Boss, Yamaha, Digitech. One thing I hate to do is fumble switching banks.. I like to have a decent palate of sounds available without to much confusion searching for the one I want.
            The Rolls Midi Buddy is compact, giving access to 10 presets w/o switching banks, it's pretty inexpensive used. The ART X11-X12 are slightly larger, only giving immediate access to 5 presets pedals, w/o switching banks go for about 30-60. Boss FC-50 is similar to the ART X11/12 (and is also inexpensive used.) The ART X15 was I think the first to use two expression pedals,(optic) but it's a beast, not practical for space but can be had for 75-100.00. The Boss FC-200, another expression pedal midi controller, nice, but still pricey used. Behringer has the new FCB 1010, good buy for the money.. if you need an expression pedal.
            If you have a rack of midi stuff you want to control, a midi board with a pedal or two is nice.. so I cast a vote for the Behringer.
            If all you need is to switch sounds on a tri-axis, the midi buddy for toteability, space efficiency, price, they take alot of road abuse too.

[ February 02, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

I just ordered the Behringer DSP2024 http://www.behringer.com/02_products...2024P&lang=eng and I'm going to get the FCB 1010 floor board on the next shipment so I'll let ya know how it works. http://www.behringer.com/02_products...B1010&lang=eng
              For the price I thought I'd take a chance. I mean the processor has all I need and allot more, plus the floor board was designed with this processor in mind, so I'm sure they will work well together.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I hope it works ok for you. I haven't enjoyed the Berhinger stuff sonically or quality wise that I've used and have promptly returned it. I know others that have had the same experience. I wish it were different, as the pricing is quite attractive. The thing I'd worry most about in the controller is the switches... THey have a hard life.

I have had a few MIDI controllers and have landed with the Rocktron MidiMate as being the cheapest, and best unit for me. You'd use your own expression pedals if they are a necessity. My next jump will be the All Access.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                  I hope it works ok for you. I haven't enjoyed the Berhinger stuff sonically or quality wise that I've used and have promptly returned it.
                  I have had a few MIDI controllers and have landed with the Rocktron MidiMate as being the cheapest, and best unit for me. You'd use your own expression pedals if they are a necessity. My next jump will be the All Access.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Clev, are you referring to the processor sonically?
                  or is there something about the Behringer midi controller that I don't know about? True,running individual foot controllers designed for the unit probably is preferable. You are probably more familiar with midi setups than I, but buying the factory controller pedal for each rack piece sometimes isn't always feasible.

Comment

Well... My personal opinion on the Berhinger stuff is, although it fits a need for low budget situations, sorta crappy equipment.

But, as we all know, good stuff is not often cheap and cheap stuff most often is not good.

I've their used mixers, and other rack mount pieces by them and found them not up to my standards. The mixers are noisy and the mic preamps are crap. Their EQs are pretty tone sucking, and made with cheap pots and are noisy too.

I found it weird as their specs are actually reasonably decent.

I also hate stuff like the thing that Dave is buying that "prefers" "their" MIDI controller. I like stuff that works with industry standard stuff. If they can't conform to industry standards, it's a marketting ploy and that's Bulshiite.

I've been through enough MIDI controllers that were trash too. Hard to find a good one that is reasonably priced. Especially if you USE it like I know he will.

The Rocktron MidiMate is decent, although the buttons do look crappy, they really are great and the unit is awesome for the duckies.

I hate any MIDI board that has pedals built on it. If the pedal goes south, your whole controller is impaired. I like them separate.

Also, I'll figure if they can't make a decent EQ or mixer (simple things really) they prolly won't excel at a complex time based piece that is pretty high tech if you want a good sounding one. Could happen I spose though, I doubt it though and I don't see anyone really using them.

For the money, a used MidiMate and a TC G-Major will sonically kill and beat those pieces in quality by a large margin.

Again, this is just my opinion (that has been attained by my wasting thousands of dollars, hehe).

Comment

I was looking at the G-Major and TC Electronic sent me a package with some samples and it's everything I would need. The problem is the price when converted to Can $. After exchange and shipping I'm looking at $800 used and since their midi (G-Minor) wouldn't cut I would need something like a midimate I which would cost about $400 used. So thats $1200 (used)compared to $500 (New). I figure if it isn't good enough I'll just let my kid use it for her vocals. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Wow, that's brutal!! A new G-Major here is $450 and a used MidiMate is $100-$180... That sucks...

Can you drive down and bring it back cheaper?

Tell us how you do bro.

Comment

Working...
                        X