one watt tube amp MP3s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one watt tube amp MP3s

Nope, this isn't the one I am working on... it's only 1/2 watt, not twice as loud like this one. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

This is a Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine. Uses a 12ax7 for a preamp, and a 12au7 for a power tube. Yes, a 12au7 for a POWER tube. Puts out about a watt, and I hooked it to my 4x12 cab. This thing was loud... not giggable, but if you live in an apartment, it's loud enough (I swear) to get you booted. I recorded the following clips with the AT1 archtop soloist I have for sale in the classifieds, currently it has a JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck.

members.cox.net/musicfiles/judaspriest.mp3

Yes, a clip of our old friends Judas Priest. A few seconds into it where it sounds kinda like a phaser is me moving the microphone at a different angle. Check out how different the tones are at the start and end of this one - it's all in mic placement - and I only changed it about 1 inch!

members.cox.net/musicfiles/cleantodirty.mp3

Started off clean with the neck pickup on the AT1 and the volume on the guitar WAY down. gradually pick harder and raise the guitar volume. Where it clicks and sounds like an edit during the feedback is me switching over to the bridge pickup.

members.cox.net/musicfiles/cleanfeedback.mp3

Playing with the volume way down on the guitar, neck pickup, and the crazy thing started feeding back a little. Thought I'd document it here.

Anyways, the one I'm building is probably going to have more gain and at least some sort of tone control - this thing has a gain and a master volume. It also has a built in H&K red box for direct recording, and can be used as a guitar tube preamp pedal. Pete gives this little 1/2 rack space box two thumbs up [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: one watt tube amp MP3s

Wow, it sounds really good, gets that 80's metal/rock tone really well. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Pete -

Great to talk to you on the board again. Sorry - I haven't been around much lately, but had a nasty breakup and that combined with the holidays meant that instead of developing normal, healthy coping mechanisms, I went drinking for two months instead. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

That H&K sounds great. Are you still building any of those tiger-striped Tube Screamer / Distortion + clones?? Lemme know and post MP3's of your new amp when you're done with it.

Jer
      [email protected]

Comment

Wonderful. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] That probably makes a fantastic low-volume recording amp, hmmmm?

Comment

Thats too cool! I can't wait to hear your 1/2 watter! I can't believe the sustain on the second clip!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Working...
          X