mark IV opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mark IV opinions?

I'm just wondering what everyone's opinion is of the MEsa Boogie Mk IV. I've read lots of really good reviews on it..and its versatility. But I want to know what it CAN'T do. And if it can't...can some sort of stompbox make it do what you want? I mean...could this thing bust out some Arch Enemy with the proper settings? I need versatility. So this summer..I might try and find one of these babies...unless people can point me in a better direction.

Re: mark IV opinions?

BTT

Comment

Have 2 of them (1 rack / 1 combo)
      does everything I need it to do
      The EQ on this amp allows you to get those heavy scooped tones (is that what arch enemy does sounds like?) allows me to get those Metallica tones from Master and Justice.

Putting a graphic EQ in the loop can do wonders which might work for you to dial in that tone you might want.

Comment

those tones would be a great place for me to start. How much should I expect to pay for a used one?

Comment

i love the mkIV but it is very hard to dial in the right settings. there are so many options to your sound that it can get frustrating figuring out which way to go. great amps though. arch enemy is currently using 5150 II heads like every other metal band these days. along with triple rectifiers. expect to at least pay 900 for a used mkIV
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yeah I used to have a long chassis
            MarkIV head run through a Marshall 4/12
            (but lost it in a fire,sniff,sniff).
            It definately nails the old Metallica
            chunk to a tee.I don't know if they still make 'em, but I bought mine new for $1600.00 back in '97.It can get a good AC/DC on the Rhythm 2 channel and a good
            searing tight lead tone with the EQ off.
            But I must say it excells at the old
            Hetfield tone,especially if your using
            a guitar like mine(Gibson V w/EMG's),I'd
            say it is best at that than anything else.It IS versatile,but seems made for
            that.It's also good for an old metal
            "edge" type tone,like a Randy Rhoads
            rhythm sound.It had more than enough gain for me,even turned down low.But it's not
            like it'll give a HUGELY different variety of sounds.For all it's tricked out knobs and switches and features,of which there are a LOT,all your sounds are still gonna be built off the same basic building blocks of the amps inherent
            tone parameters.It ain't gonna give
            THAT many kinds of totally diverse kinds of sounds.I spent untold hours trying
            to though.The only effects I tried were
            a Digitech RP3 pedalboard,but that got
            complicated since the footswitch for the amp already has 6 buttons on it.But it has cool Auto-program switches where you can assign the effects loop to certain channels which is nice.I guess a lot more would be possible tonewise depending on the different makes of effects used,as opposed to using just a digital multieffects unit probably.But if you love the old Metallica/Anthrax tone,I
            would say GO FOR IT!I really wasn't able to get too many other heavy type tones
            out of it and always seemed to keep it
            at the most bottom -heavy yet defined
            sound it would get,which was dead up
            Metallica tone(real tight and compressed)
            which of course is a sought-after tone anyway.I often wished I could get a
            different tone that was as heavy but it
            can't really pull off a Pantera type
            tone as well,since it does use tubes
            of course.But I do wish I had mine still!

Comment

you can read a lot of comments from users on the Mesa Forum
              http://pub61.ezboard.com/bmesaboogieampforum77319
              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Hey, i own a MKIV and I love it. I have only had it for a year and havnt gotten the chance to explore all types of tone yet, but yes it does do metallica real good. This amp is EXTREMELY frustrating tho, because of all the knobs and stuff, hard to get the tone exactly how you want it. but when you do get it, you cant put down the guitar...

I am a metallica tone fan, and have tried to nail some of their tones. The only one i never came close to was the Justice tone, which sucks cause thats the one i wanted most. Can some of you guys here that have gotten that metallica tone post the settings? Im interested in trying them out because everyone seems to have gotten a little bit closer then i have. Post them! i wana hear what you guys got.

Comment

you wont get the justice tone because it was achieved on the album through a fukload of guitar layers, i think 7 or something.
                  cheers

Comment

Seems like I used to could get pretty damn close to it with mine.It's all in the EQ settings,which of course on that
                    amp is complex.The sound on Justice comes
                    off as thinner and more dry than on say Master.Of course the right guitar and pickups help,and the fact I ran mine through a Marshall cab like James did

Comment

Well hey thrasher, could you post your settings? im running my guitar with EMG's and also the amp through a marshall cab, so maybe im on the right track... I always knew it was in the EQ, but i could never figure it out! how did you do it??

Comment

I figured...

Comment

Hey guys I have some Metallica-style settings written down for a Mesa/Boogie Mark II C that a Mesa employee sent me. If you want me to I could post them and you could figure out the equivalent for the Mark IV. Let me know!

Comment

Post away man!! Is the EQ included? if so great!

Comment

Working...
                            X