5150 vs Peavey Ultra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 vs Peavey Ultra

Now the 5150 is very cost effective, but who here has played both the 5150 and the Peavey Ultra? The Ultra has EQ, and I know one of the guitaristts in The Crown uses one. So yeah...

LC

Re: 5150 vs Peavey Ultra

Originally posted by The Lord Conqueror:
    Now the 5150 is very cost effective, but who here has played both the 5150 and the Peavey Ultra? The Ultra has EQ, and I know one of the guitaristts in The Crown uses one. So yeah...

LC
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pete (Oklastrat) is the guy you want to ask this question. I have seen him refer
    to the Ultra Plus as being nearly the same as a XXX, but less 'dark' due to using different capacitors. The Ultras have 3 channels as opposed to 5150's 2, but that's about all I know.

Hope Pete will give you better detail.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Overall.. I like the Ultra better. Then comes the Triple X, and 5150.

Comment

Uh..Word.....do youhave a limitless supply of heads that you do A/B tests with?? You seem to have all this input on things. Not trying to be a d1ck......but, how do you have access to all this stuff to give an opinion?-Lou
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

The Ultra was will weak when i tried it out i could not get that sound out of her
          the 5150 i could and i could out of the triple X

but i like the Triple X better

but i went out and bought a 1989 Marshall JCM800
          go figure

Comment

I felt that the Ultra was a bit more versatile than the 5150. But liked the general tone of the 5150 best. The Ultra was more fuzzy and fizzy I thought... Seemed like they were shooting for the MESA Boogie crowd, and weren't doing so well at "that" mark. Still an ok amp Generally.

I'd probably enjoy a good old Marshall 800 and a TC Electronics line driver much more.

But, as always, you know that the 5150 is the Official amp of the Swedish death metal movement.

All Eurometal bands are required to use them now.

Comment

Hey Jacksonshredder, you type like my girlfriend! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

woah, creepy, you entered your reply just as I entered mine CleavlandMetal. Weird...

[ February 07, 2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: metallicarocks ]

Comment

Wow, And I never see Jackson Shredder and your Girlfriend in the same place...

Hmm, coincidence??

Comment

Lou... I live in Mississippi... and being how the main office of Peavey is in Meridian, Mississippi... there's a store nearby that carries a ton of Peavey products. They are also a Jackson, Fender, Gibson, Takamine, and Godin dealers. Plus other various stores... one being a big Marshall Dealer.. and the other being a big Line 6 dealer plus a lot of other stuff.

Comment

I just played on a 5150 yesterday...
                    After that i came on here searching for one for sale, and ended up buying an Utlra. I think that i'll be happy with it. People on harmony central say that this kicks the JCM800's A$$. That might not be true, but i think it might be just as good. Is the gain the on the Ultra like the 5150?

Comment

Thread Resurrection [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

i personally found the 5150 way to fuzzy/fizzy. i prefer 800's 900's, plexi superleads, rectumfriers, but my most favorite is the boogie .50 (el84). if you think you need an eq pedal, you probably just don't like the sound of your guitar.

ps i have a mkIII for 600 for sale
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I used to own an Ultra Plus and from my experience the cleans on the Ultra are much better than the 5150 or 5150II. The Ultra definately has as much distortion, but its voiced differently. Kinda hard to describe, its not as tight sounding as the 5150 in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                          X