Power Amp Power useage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Amp Power useage

OK, this may sound like a silly question, but my power bill is way higher than this month last year. My practice amps have been out at the studio and at a friend's jam room, and I've been practicing several hours a day on my 120watt half stack, but at low volumes. I would think it would not draw too much power, because the power tubes would not be drawing full power, just the pre's. Could this account for a higher power bill than just running my 65watt combo?

Re: Power Amp Power useage

Amps really don't draw that much power. Your 120 Watt amp is probably drawing less than 75 watts total when on unless you are cranking it up all the way. That's about the equivilent of a light bulb. Did your electric company get an actual reading this month and only estimate you for a few months before ?? Are your neighbors running an extention cord to your house ?? Did you leave the light on in the garage ??

Matt

[ February 06, 2003, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: OnlineStageGear ]

Comment

Dude my bill was alot higher this month also.Where do you live?Im from jersey and we have been having some cold ass weather.Its not your amps.

Comment

Well, I live in LA, and I have a gas heater, so it's not that. I can check and see if my neighbors are running an extension cord from my house, but I doubt it. I am covered in tattoos and I have bands like Disgorge and Cephalic Carnage stay at my house, and we are pretty scary looking, so even though I am always polite to them, I doubt they would try to steal from me. I do stay up late and have the lights on, but just in my room. And the bill is an actual reading from last month compared to January 2002. Thanks for the help guys, I guess I'll just replace the light bulbs with those really efficient ones, and hope that does the trick.

Comment

Just how much is the bill?

I have amazingly outrageous electric bills...

Comment

In my apt, the bill is 60 bucks, I have 3 computers, some amps, tv, ps2, frig, and light.

my apt is 2 bedroom, dining room, kitchen, living room, basement, bathroom.

I just bought a house though, so Ill be out of this s4!+ hole shortly.

Comment

Working...
            X