Who here has a JCM 2000 DSL 401?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here has a JCM 2000 DSL 401?

Im picking one up in about a week, damn I loved the **** out of its tone. Anyway I got it nice and loud for me, but I didnt crank the master volume past 4, so how loud do these lil babies really go?

Re: Who here has a JCM 2000 DSL 401?

I've got a TSL100. Keep mine on 2 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Had one here, Sounded so good, I sold it...

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK:
        I've got a TSL100. Keep mine on 2 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

joe...
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah I had one of them, took it back.

I remember atleast one of you's out there has a DSL 401 combo.

Comment

yeah 99DR3 does, I think his knew nick is khabibisell? Sorry if I spelt it wrong [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I have a DSL100... not a bad amp, but i'm not too satisfied with it hehe.

Comment

Friend of mine is a big Marshall fan - has a TSL head, and bought a 401 DSL combo.

Had trouble with the reverb, so got a replacement. The reverb started whacking out after *9* days. Replacement had tolex issues - was lifting in places. He sent that one back and ended his fascination with the DSL 401's.

Few things he and I noticed about them is that they run really hot. I'd be really leery of one as a main amp without a backup - hot running amp + PCB construction + upside down chassis = lots of potential problems down the road.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by OklaStrat:
              Friend of mine is a big Marshall fan - has a TSL head, and bought a 401 DSL combo.

Had trouble with the reverb, so got a replacement. The reverb started whacking out after *9* days. Replacement had tolex issues - was lifting in places. He sent that one back and ended his fascination with the DSL 401's.

Few things he and I noticed about them is that they run really hot. I'd be really leery of one as a main amp without a backup - hot running amp + PCB construction + upside down chassis = lots of potential problems down the road.

Pete
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Pete, I noticed the amp ran real hot also, and I also noticed the reverb wasnt the greatest. I have never really had reverb on my amps before and if I did i never used it so I can with a crappy reverb. I am a lil nervous about the heat of it though, I'll keep my eye out on it.

Comment

Yep, I'm the one with a DSL 401. I don't use it as often as I used to, but the only problems I've had are a couple of microphonic preamp tubes. I think it sounds pretty good (it sounds like a Marshall should), and cops that early eighties hard rock tone pretty well. A good example would be the opening bars of "Photograph" from Def Leppard. It's very harmonically rich, probably due to the EL84's, and has a pretty good crunch tone. For shredding, I'd definitely recommend an overdrive of some sort, and/or using EMG's. Both seem to smooth it out and add greatly to the sustain factor. I NEVER run the red channels gain past 6, as it gets muddy. Also, I would HIGHLY recommend hooking up to a closed back 2x12 or 4x12 as this tightens things up alot and adds alot of projection. I do like the clean channel... You can sorta cop that jangly fender tone with it. The biggest issue with that is clean headroom, and matching the volume between the clean and gain channels (the clean channel does not have it's own channel volume). As for the reverb, I really don't use it so I can comment on that.

Let me touch on the reliability factors. Pete is exactly right, that little bugger runs HOT! I've read that some people hook those 10 inch computer fans to the chassis to keep things under control. I've also wanted to build some sort of box for it to make it a head, which I would probably keep the vibration factor down a bit.

All in all, it's a cool little amp. I was dissappointed with it at first, but it's grown on me. I bought a Mesa Nomad 100 and was going to sell the DSL, but I just couldn't do it!

[ February 09, 2003, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: khabibissell ]

Comment

Thanks Steve much appreciated input. How LOUD does it get? I only turned the mas. vol. up till about 5 or so in the store.

[ February 09, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Marshall tone ]

Comment

Plenty loud for a band situation. All three channels are plenty loud enough to hear over a loud drummer, and it cuts real well. In short, it will definitely make your ears ring! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X