WORST Distortion Pedal EVER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WORST Distortion Pedal EVER

so far, it's the only one i've had ^.^ The Rocktech Distortion pedal. Now, imagine a crappy Ibanez running through that [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] that's a scary sound >.< That's actually the sound that stopped me playing a few years ago, but then Ryann started getting better, soo i picked my guitar back up, got a new one, and it sounds great ^.^ The pedal is just for show now lol.

Comment

I had a Boss DS-1 from the early 80's and it
      was so generic and thin sounding too my ear. I
      traded it for a Tubescreamer which I still sometimes use today. I really liked the Soldano
      GTO and the Mesa V-Twin tube pedals.

Ric

Comment

Okla is right again. Most newer tube amps have tons of gain. This is a YCV 80 recorded with a cheap vocal mic.
        Gain on 7 1/2
        Pre amp on 3
        Power amp on 3

I usually tune 1 1 2 steps down but here I'm in Eb.

http://onlinerock.com/musicians/sevser//new_tubes.mp3

If I turn the power section up too far passed the pre amp it starts to get mushy (mind you my new tubes have helped in this area in a big way.)If I turn the pre up too far passed the power amp I get noise. Better pre amp tubes should help this I'm sure.

Point is you don't need a Bogner or a Diezel to get good gain out of a tube amp by itself. I still have room for more gain than this. The thing I have finally clued into (People here have been saying all along)is with tube gain you still have allot of clarity. I can strum any chord and still hear all the notes. With distortion pedals it always blurred the notes together.

[ February 14, 2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Dave ]
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

with tube gain you still have allot of clarity. I can strum any chord and still hear all the notes. With distortion pedals it always blurred the notes together.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">damn straight!

you don't want to run new tube amps wide open but they still need to be loud to get there sound. and clean distortion just rocks!
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Dreamland_Rebel,

Your first post there...exactly...crank the amp up for better sound. That's what I was saying in my posts...I realize that's a generally accepted fact. But, as I said, I'm a bedroom-only player...and it just can't and doesn't apply to me. The same with what you said about layered guitar track sound on albums...maybe it might sound like moosh if you used that same sound in a band situation. Again, it doesn't apply to me at all...since I'm not in a band, and have no desires to join one. That's why I try to make it clear what my playing situation is...that way, if I say something, someone in a band doesn't think "oh boy that sounds cool, let me do that!"...no, please don't! Because what I do, and the sound I get probably wouldn't work with a band...I've been told that many, many times. But that's a limitation I'm glad to not have...I enjoy being able to get the dead-on sound I want, without the limitation of having it "fit with" anything else. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ross,

Hehehe...what you started was good discussion. Never any reason to apologize for that... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Again, I have to stress, people should realize that not everybody has the same wants, needs, expectations or limitations of their gear as you do. As this discussion has already proven in several differing replies...what amp or sound YOU might think is "tone heaven" might be completely different than one someone else might think of your amp or sound. No offense...don't get your ego bruised...but people don't have to think the same thing. In fact, they shouldn't! If you think your amp by itself has plenty of gain, be happy! Because there's gonna be some poor fella who's got the same damn amp but has spent way more money on other gear to make himself happy with it. People like me, for instance. Do I like having to have a huge signal chain of gear to get what my setup to where I want? No way! It drives me crazy...but after years of trying different types of setups and amps etc, I've come to the realization that it's the only way for ME to get to MY sound, to fulfill MY expectations. On one level, I envy anyone who's happy with a simple setup. But, regardless of what you have, as long as you are happy with it, that's great! And when you hear about someone who's found a setup they love, congratulate them! Just because it's not what YOU want in a setup doesn't make it any less cool to them...just say "hey man I'm happy for ya!" like a cool bud should. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

You want bad? Well then go try a Danelectro French Toast. It's an octive distortion pedal and complete piece of ****. Sounds like BZZZZZZZZZZZGHZZGGAGA.

Comment

hey stu, i wasn't trying to bash you. and its cool that you like your set up. i just want to steer the upstarting band guys in the right direction cause i know when i was there i had no idea about anything and did a lot of experimenting. and wasted a lot of money on gear that i didn't need. i feel that most musicians need to streamline their gear cause 1 we're all broke as hell, and 2 gear is so expensive it hurts. i know, i just dropped 900 into a new used rig. 400 for a new cab and 500 for a new head. and now after 14 years i finally have the sound that i had been trying to get all along. geez it only took 14 years. hehheh.
                Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

the worst would have to be my friends metal rocker pedal?? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] he bought it for £15 (i live in england) he use's it with his marshall jcm900,it doesnt have any bottom end what so ever.
                  93 USA Soloist EDS
                  USA HT6 Juggernaut
                  Charvel DK24FR

Comment

No offense taken here... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm just always worried about "tone discussions" deteriorating, and people getting all upset over basically nothing.

Definitely, it's important that new starts get good advice in the right directions, as to what might be good for them. Especially if they're gonna be a band gigger. And I'm sure as simple a setup as possible is much nicer for that situation--who wants to lug around extra junk? Hehehe...

Comment

you got that right!
                      i just retired my 4x12 for a 2x12 vertical recto cab. i'm so excited that i can actually put my cab in the back of my truck by my self! hehheh.

no pedals just guitar, cable, head, speaker cable, and cab. and its time to rock. oh yeah and a tuner.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

The infamous "Gorilla Amp Distortion Simulator."

Man, that box sucked.

Comment

The worst one I've ever heard is a DOD FX55. The scary thing is that they still make it.
                          [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                          X