Rack system on a budget??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack system on a budget??

Hey guys I have a friend who is looking to get a rack setup going, but he can't afford really expensive stuff. What are some preamps, poweramps, cabinets, and rack processors that I could recommend him looking into that are good, but affordable?

Re: Rack system on a budget??

well, I picked up a SOHO QTR-1 for 50.00 over a year ago, which given the condition, was a deal. It has 4 12ax7's and two switchable channels in a dual space rackmnt. Best part about it is it had some nice NOS long plates inside. *bonus* I've heard some realiability problems with these preamps, but I got some nice clean and distorted tones..it sounded pretty decent with a good set of tubes..better than a Perfect Connection Lee Jackson GM-1000 preamp (of which one is one Ebay)
    I have it as a backup preamp.

Ada MP1 are usually about 125.00. A decent inexpensive power amp like a Mosvalve, ADA, Alesis etc.. 75.00-125.00. All is needed is a midi pedal and a cab. A Boss GX700 is a decent sounding 24bit processor. The older Digitech and Rocktron stuff is getting to be more affordable as well.
    You can get by with a 100.00 used 2x12 or a 4x10.
    I bought Crate 4x10 for a 100.00, reloaded it with some old Rola's, I use it all the time even tho it's particleboard.
    If you don't have one of the above components already.. it'll cost ya about 350.00. You're better off getting a used combo.

[ February 11, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

There are a couple of other el-cheapo preamps out there...and lots in the less-el-cheapo range, too. Just depends on what he's looking to spend and what he expects from it. Good thing about starting cheap is, if you find something you absolutely fall in love with, you can laugh at all us dorks who've spent way too much money to get to the satisfaction you've got for much less hehehe...let's see...

Peavey Rockmaster preamp...I think they're around $75-150 range. Tube-based preamp...BUT...try to find one with the original footswitch. I had a major headache with the one I had because I didn't have the original and other footswitches I tried didn't want to work well for channel-switching with it.

Here's a few preamps...

Rocktron mAXE preamp...about the same price range, I think. It's a solid state preamp, as I remember. I think it had a built-in Exciter.

TubeWorks RealTube/RealTube 2...think that's the name. Tube-based...really thick tubey sound.

Rocktron Piranha...a bit more...$300-350 usually I've seen. Tube-based, and I believe it also had a built-in Exciter. These are really highly praised by a lot of people.

A lot of people would be happiest with these using some sort of external EQ with them. Some of the tube-based preamps, in particular, can sound very, very thick, but not be very "brilliant". Kinda flat, kinda weak. It just depends on what you want and what you expect. Stick an EQ with em, and maybe spruce up the front with an EQ pedal and/or mild overdrive pedal, maybe a BBE...if you're not happy with it as-is. It's usually easier to add decent "scream" to a "thick and heavy" preamp, than it is to take a thin and wimpy preamp and try to make it thicker and heavier.

For effects, a lot of people used to (and some still) like the Alesis Quadraverb units. They're cheap...around $100 or so.

Preamp & Effects combination units...

Rocktron Chameleon/Chameleon 2000, Voodu Valve. I've seen these go from anywhere from around $225 to $400 used...depends on which one (Voodu is more usually). Chameleons are non-tube, the Voodu has a tube. They have Rocktron's well-known high quality effects built into them and, all around, are a very good value.

ART SGX2000/2000Express...they weren't okay...one tube. Usually go around $300-350. Preamp with tons of effects.

The next issue is, unless you get a very basic old preamp-only type unit (but most definitely if you get an effects unit) there is the issue of MIDI...most need some sort of MIDI controller to change patches and, if you want to be able to control effects parameters while you are playing in real-time...some sort of expression pedal. Most MIDI pedalboards won't have an expression pedal onboard, though some do, but most have a jack for adding an expression pedal.

Hmmm...hope that gets you somewhere...

Comment

My rack system on a budget cost me 1900.00 [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and I use a Marshall head [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] so there is no pre or power amp in the rack.
        Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Working...
        X