help with effects: technical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with effects: technical

I recently got a Crate Stealth 50 for free, and have now had my first experience of true tube distortion. I know, it's not a Marshall, but I'm not a pro, and I'm happy with it.

Now, I want to supplement the amp with some non-gain related effects, primarily chorus, delay, flange/phase, and compression.

I know that those types of effects these days are mostly digitally-created. I also know that "coloring" effects like chorus and flange should be placed after the gain stages. Now, will sticking a digital processor AFTER the tube preamp stage ruin the smooth sounding distortion? It seems like sacriledge to put digital devices in the chain at that point.

Where do you all have your effects?

Also, do you have any suggestions for effects, either all-in-one rack mount devices (which I prefer because you can usually create midi-recallable presets), or effects pedals?

Thanks. Owning a tube amp is changing the way I think about effects. I am not effects-crazy, but some chorus delay and compression are pretty much mandatory for the stuff I like to play (Rush, & Queensryche)

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Re: help with effects: technical

Hey dude, since no one else replied ya, i will [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well, i'm not familiar with any Crate stuff, but i'm assuming it has an "effects loop". Like you stated, most non-gain related effects will probably sound best trying them there first, and in front of your amp after, then just compare both and stick with what sounds best to you.
    I bought a Korg AX1000G(multi-effects processor) a few years back, and i like it alot, pretty cheap, VERY easy to operate and sounds pretty decent at low level volume, but really crappy if you plan on cranking it, or at least through my Marshall.
    For home practice, i plug straight in my Korg and then my boss eq, and after trying all possibilities, that seemed to be the best setup i could get out of this unit. Oddly enough it sounded terrible when i put it in my FX loop, so go figure? I even sometimes plug it right in my PC , and with a good sound card and good speakers, it can sound not bad, and can also be useful for recording stuff on your PC. Since my Marshall 2x12 combo is my "portable" amp, i always leave my Korg behind when i leave the house and just boost my signal by putting my boss eq in front, and i'm satisfied with just that, i just have no FX if i need them. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    All that to say that if your jamming with a band or gigging, this is not the unit for you. But if your looking for a practice tool, it might be just what your looking for, and i bought mine new for pretty cheap, so i'm sure used ones can be found for very little money

If your looking for a more "pro" sounding, "all in one" unit that sounds good at all levels, i'd recommend an older Rocktron Chameleon rack mount unit(the blackface USA one) which is what i use as my main setup at home. I heard the newer non USA made ones don't sound as good, but i've never heard one, so i don't know? You can get 'em for pretty cheap, which is why i'd recommend the Chameleon, and if your patient enough, i'm sure you could get "similar" sounding tones for most Queensryche stuff after some tweaking. It's just a MUCH more complicated unit than the one mentioned above, but it has features galore, i still haven't figured it all out and i've had it for some time now. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    It's an effects processor as well as a pre-amp. I don't know if it would sound as good in just an effects loop, so that might be something to check out before buying, but i'm pretty sure i had tried it in my Marshall when i first got it, and it sounded O.K.
    Rush on the other hand, hard to tell, with so many albums, i believe Lifeson was always changing his gear trying to improve his overall sound, but i'm sure you could probably get something "close" sounding for some songs.
    Hope this helped a bit, tell me what you think. Best bet is to go out and try as many multi-effects units as possible, cos there are lots out there, and some may sound better to you, or just suit your gear/needs better. I've also hear many good things about the "G major" effects unit, but never tried one.
    cheers [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

The Chameleon has a preamp in it so it wouldnt sound good running looped. Its either GMajor or an intellifex......I like the intellifex, but its got no phaser, so that bites..........Of course you could sell the Crate and just go for a power amp/pre amp rack deally thingamabob......

Comment

Thanks for the posts guys. I'll look into those.

- E.
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
        X