Best Bass Distortion Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Bass Distortion Pedal

My friend is getting a new distortion pedal for his bass on thursday and he asked me to ask you guys what you think is the best bass distorion pedal. So what is the "best" bass distortion pedal? And I'm guessing it can't be insanely high priced either.

Re: Best Bass Distortion Pedal

Sorry Distortion and Bass is against my Morals!!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My brother uses a Boss Bass Overdrive, and he likes it. I think making a distorted bass sound good is a really hard thing to do, and the only guy I've ever heard who I thought got it right was Cliff Burton. He used the booster in his Morley Power Wah/Boost.

Comment

crank an ampeg SVT tube head all the way up!

Comment

I don't know what the guy in King's X uses, but MAN it's a massive tone. I know he also uses 8 string basses, but listen to over my head during the solo...

Pete

Comment

My friend Shaun used an old DOD Distortion for his guitar and now that he plays bass, he apparently can get an awesome bass distortion if he plugs in one of my guitars that i left there and play for a couple minutes then quickly plug in his Bass [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] but sadly it only lasts for about 30 seconds. Anyone else have input?

Comment

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Comment

bass players who use distortion don't play bass, they play low octave guitar.

bass + distortion = GAY

you might as well get him a guitar and an octive pedal and take him down an octave. cause your never going to hear him anyway. it will just sound like the low end of your, probably already too bassy, guitar sound.

not to be a dick to you, but thats just not bass guitar. and even if you think its metal, its not! would steve harris (IM) use distortion... no. would alex webster (Canible Corpse).... not a chance, and he is the most extreme metal bass player. would timmy hansen (for all you KD fans and probably the best bass player for metal, ever)... never! but seriously, please don't let him use distortion. there is a total lack of real bass players in this world and we don't need anymore low octive guitarists. bass follows the drums and makes or breaks a song. usually providing the main melody of certain parts. distortion ruins all of that.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                  bass players who use distortion don't play bass, they play low octave guitar.

bass + distortion = GAY

you might as well get him a guitar and an octive pedal and take him down an octave. cause your never going to hear him anyway. it will just sound like the low end of your, probably already too bassy, guitar sound.

not to be a dick to you, but thats just not bass guitar. and even if you think its metal, its not! would steve harris (IM) use distortion... no. would alex webster (Canible Corpse).... not a chance, and he is the most extreme metal bass player. would timmy hansen (for all you KD fans and probably the best bass player for metal, ever)... never! but seriously, please don't let him use distortion. there is a total lack of real bass players in this world and we don't need anymore low octive guitarists. bass follows the drums and makes or breaks a song. usually providing the main melody of certain parts. distortion ruins all of that.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you for your biased and necrophilia filled opinion on bass.

Comment

Man and you guys thought I was Outspoken... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well I have to say that I agree with the Rebel Dreamer...

but disaggree about the best metal bassist out there .....'cause that would be I......I and Steve DiGiorgio [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously the best distortion for bass ...if you really want to use it would be TUBE distortion. Many Bass amps such as the one I had the Carvin Pro Bass has a solid state and tube preamp . You can dial it anywhere from piano clean to a friggin' buzzsaw.

Also I remeber a couple of cool old stomp boxes I used to play around with years ago that sounded pretty cool . I remebering my MXR Dynacomp used to give tons of sustain and a cool slight overdrive. DOD also made a cool bass pedal a few years back that was cool...I think it was called a Meat box....Compression is very important to bass overdrive. There's tons of old Bass multi FX pedals and most all of then come with a compressor , OD and usually a chorus.

Some killer bassist have used tube overdrive and still remain very articulate , like Sheehan , Coven , Voss , Entwitsle , Daisley and friggin' so on. Therefore it can be done very tastefully

Everyone always refer to Cliff about bass distortion.... Beleive me , I'm a die hard true friggin' Metalhead and I absolutely CRINGED the first time I heard Cliff's solo back in around '83. I'm not trying to start crap with his fans or put that great dude down in anyway. I'm stating that classic farting bass solo sounds as hideous now as it did back then to my ears......sounds like someone shove a tuba up a rhino's a$$.... [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

As for me I quest for the cleanest , crispest , punchiest bass tone that I could and get all the power and aggresion from my most awesome hands.. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Bill Z Bass....I mean Bub

[ February 19, 2003, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks, Bill.

Comment

Working...
                      X