Triple Rectogumper 6L6 vs El34's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Rectogumper 6L6 vs El34's

I am putting new power tubes in my 3 channel. I am going to put Svetlana EL34's in it. The only setting I use is bold and silicon diodes.

Anyone have any thought's or has anyone switched out 6l6's for EL34's. My bro has a 2 channel with el 34's and it definitely sounds better that mine. Not as buzzy with treble.

Has anyone put a trimpot in theirs? This something I have thought of doing. But, I just talked to a friend of mine who got 4 recto's
    (they all have trim pots) in last week with different things wrong. I am really not willing to get a slight tone variation for reliabilty issues.

Thanks L

Re: Triple Rectogumper 6L6 vs El34\'s

A bias pot won't make an amp unreliable *if* it's done correctly. EL34s are a step in the right direction in any event. You might ask whoever you're getting the tubes from since your amp is a mesa if you could get some that would run a little hotter - most mesas are biased cold from the factory.

Pete

Comment

Thank You Pete

I ordered a set from tube store.

LRG

Comment

Well I have the Dual Rectifier Road King and I run one set of EL34s and one set of 6L6s for my crunch sound, and I am completely happy with sound. I had a triple rec with 6L6s and I didn't like the mids and top end as much.
        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Tubestore rocks. I ordered my tubes thurs morning. Got them today at 1:00pm., from Ontario Canada to the middle of nowhere in washington state and prices are resonable. 100 bucks shipped in one day for a matched sextet of svetlana el34's

Anyway after putting the El34's I lost a little low end. But the amp as a whole is much more usable it doesn't have that annnoying mid to top end fizz. You can actually hear a chord ring. The clean channel is also a lot more usable. Now I like my duncan more than my emg 85. Maybe not my be all , end all of amps. But considering the reliabilty and the 3 channels and lead boost. Definately not a bad gigging amp.

Comment

I second "The tube store" I just received (Here in BC)some 12ax7's today. Ordered 48 hrs ago. I got 4 matched 6l6's a couple weeks ago in the same time. They even respond to e-mails right away. I f'd up on my addy and sent a correction a couple minutes later and they responded a 1/2 hr later confirming the correction! I thought that was awesome....Think I'll even buy a "Tube store" coffee mug next time. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] You can even tell em how hot you want your tubes. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

My processor and midi controller came in today too!

ITS CHRISTMAS!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Yep they kickass. I told them I wanted a little hotter tube(thanks Pete). I have been playing for 3 hrs straight. My amp is so much tighter now. Everyone of my guitars sounds great. And actually now that I played on guitar with drop C it has an evil amount of low end. I think I had a combination of old tubes and the 6l6's and it sounded like a loose fuzzy turd.

[ February 21, 2003, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: LRGman ]

Comment

Working...
              X