Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KT88 power tubes- What do they sound like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KT88 power tubes- What do they sound like?

KT88s vs. 6L6s or EL34s (my personal favorite right now)

I am looking around at different power amps to power a mesa/boogie tri-axis preamp if decide to get it and was looking at vht power amps and they put KT88s in some of there power amps.

Nek

Re: KT88 power tubes- What do they sound like?

Buy the VHT... Nothing compares...

KT88 are my favorite tube by far. Don't expect to get tube saturation easily, they are very tight and take volume well... No Glassiness of the 6L6, and no midrange honk of the EL34.

When they do distort, it's a non compressed growl... A fine tube.

Sorta the best of both worlds, and none of the downfalls that I can see. And fairly flat response in comparison with the 6L6 or EL34.

I have a VHT2150, and it is without a doubt, the king of the hill...

However, a MESA 6L6 amp would be second in line for my uses if I could not have a VHT.

Comment

Dude,I have the triaxis.If I were you I would get myself the mesa 290 poweramp.I think you are loosing to much of the triaxis to go with any thing else.They are made to be used together.They are voiced for each other.Yes the vht is a great amp,and im not taking anything from it.But with the triaxis and 290 combo you can get the usage of the deep, half drive and modern voicings on the 290.And believe me they sound great.jmho paul.

Comment

imho buy a diezel [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Since i cannot afford a diezel, its going to be a mesa recto amp. I played the VHT's and they are well built, great sounding amps, I just like the sound of the mesa more.

The kt tubes need to be cranked to get power amp saturated. They have great harmonics, and as cleve said, are the best of both worlds.

Unless you can crank the amp, i dont suggest them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nek:
          KT88s vs. 6L6s or EL34s (my personal favorite right now)
          Nek
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay... the 6l6's are like.. "BlAp!"
          and the KT88's are like "BaLooOm"
          and the El 34's are like "MeedLEy Meeeee"

that pretty much says it all...

If you have any other questions, I will be there to explain things to you.

thank you,
          Derek

Comment

I would understand getting the 2:90 as being able to take advantage of the associated controls and other things that MESA has built into the two pieces that make them sorta go together.

That said, I still prefer the VHT and KT88s, haha..

I also don't want the power tube distortion. I play in clubs all the time that are different sizes and play at different volumes levels. When I used power amp distortion, my sound changed all the time and was unpredictable due to the conditions.

I use mostly preamp distortion now and my sound stays the same. If you rely on power amp distortion, then you'd better be playing in the same place a lot or at least similar sized places at a comparable volume level, or your sound will constantly be changing.

Comment

Would you run through that one more time? I'm not getting it.
              Originally posted by oklaSTAR:
              Okay... the 6l6's are like.. "BlAp!"
              and the KT88's are like "BaLooOm"
              and the El 34's are like "MeedLEy Meeeee"

that pretty much says it all...

If you have any other questions, I will be there to explain things to you.

thank you,
              Derek
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

[ February 21, 2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: buzzsaww ]
              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] uhhhhhhh.... me neither.

Thanks guys. They (KT88 tubes) sound interesting. I think that I am going to have to go on a little road trip to try them out some time soon. The nearest music store that sells VHT amps is only like a 100 miles away. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Nek [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

That post was funny as hell....he is immitating a popular internet figure named Strongbad...do a Google search for Strongbad and you will see what it is all about...and then you will laugh your ass off after reading that post.

Comment

Yep, we all know of strongbad, been a long time JCF favorite!

Meeedly Meeedly Meeeedly Meeeedly meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Signed,

Trogdor

Comment

Trogdor the Burninator....

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Comment

Working...
                      X