Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp.

I'm in the market for a new amp.

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Costs 400 US and below. 450 absolute maximum.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Provides a good metal sound. Think Pantera.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No gigging (yet). Just jamming with friends and practicing.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dosen't sound like crap.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was thinking Randall RG100SC, or Crate GFX. Any comments on these models?
    Thanks.

Re: New Amp.

Hey, Aaron
    Consider the Marshall AVT50. You can get a lot of different tones out of it, and it'll crank real hard if you want it to. The shop near me sells them new for $419. Worth a look!

Comment

Peavey Transtube. Dead simple and sound killer. The new ones with the resonance control and "T-Dynamics" are killer and a great bang for the buck.
      I have a Bandit 1x12 practice amp and it seriously sounds excellent.

I'm totally amazed that more folks aren't into these things. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Seriously Peavey trans-tube. Just got a Peavey Supreme trans-tube head. This thing is sweet and SUPER CHEAP. You can get cheap trans-tube combos, thats what i'd go with if I was you.

Comment

Marshall Valvestate VS100 head. Look for them on Ebay $300 - $350 max. Good metal tone.

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse, but I may pick up a Transtube Supreme head for a backup to my SLO, just in case. I could easily gig with one of those. They sound that good.

Comment

A friend of mine has a Transtube head and I haven't ever been impressed with it. In fact, I bloody hate the thing! I don't know if they're all like this, but the tone and distortion on his don't get past "Mid 80's light rock crunch" or so. It's not a bad amp as a backup or just another tone to have, but the RG100 would probably slay it for heavy stuff.

Comment

I may depend on the year. I'm not real up on these, but the newer stuff (last years and this years) is awful cool to my ears, and I'm one picky SOB when it comes to tone!
                I mean, its still a solid state amp, and I really can't forsee selling the SLO to buy a couple dozen of these, though it would make for a cool rack!

Comment

It seems that the Peavey Transtube Studio Pro 112 would be my best option. Good reviews, 65 watt, expansionable. Great price.

I just need to save up now. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Might also check out the Randall RH100. It's easily in your price range new.

Comment

The peavey's are good, i know what you mean chuckracer, my friend gets killer tones from his amp. Didnt someone here say that the 5150 combos cost like 400 or 500 us dollars? That's an awesome deal considering the fact that they cost about 1700 US dollars here in Australia.
                      Cheers

Comment

5150 Combos 400 or 500 dollars used.. not brand new. Check E Bay.

Comment

How does the Peavey Transtube range compare with the Marshall MG Series?

Comment

I just found a used Peavey Transtube Express 112. It looks the same as the Studio Pro, except for the fact that it has a 12" Sheffield speaker as opposed to the 12" Blue Marvel that the Studio Pro has.

Is there anything wrong with this amp? Lacks tone, etc?

Comment

i have a randall rh100 and i think its great. it gets that good palm muted distortion.

Comment

Working...
                              X