engl preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engl preamp

Has anyone ever played a engl single space preamp?Dont know the model # Or even if they make more than one model.If you have how are they and what are they worth?Can you get some sick gain out if them?Thanks paul.

Re: engl preamp

Well, I've played a non-midi two channel single rack space one. It wasn't a monster. But, it had a lot of tone and character. When we played it through a Marshall 800, and it was VERY cool. We were getting quite a Slayer tone out of it that I enjoyed a lot. With EQ, it could come close to a Scorpions "Blackout" sound....

Not over the top sick gain, but very toney and fairly nicely made also.

I see that style preamp go in the $300-400 dollar range.

Comment

I saw a Engl Preamp with 4chs(I believe) on E-bay with $149 BIN about several days ago.
      I almost hit it but no money.after several hours, it was sold.

VERY good preamp.I love it.

[ February 23, 2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: dinkyjacksonman ]

Comment

There is one on ebay now.If either of you guys get the time check it out, and let me know what you think.Its the only one on there right now.Thanks paul.

Comment

Its a engl model 602.Its only going for $152 is this a good one? or worth the money?

Comment

I'm thinking that might be the one I tried. If I was looking for a simple preamp, I'd say that's a decent price and I'd probably be wanting to try it...

But, it really depends on your rig. I didn't think it had enough crunch till we ran it into an amp that had decent growl of its own. But, at that point, I was digging it. Like a Tube screamer or od-1, it really worked nice with a marshall 800 and pushed it over the top well and with style.

Comment

Im not even going to bother with it.If it cant get high gain on its own.Whats the point?Im running a triaxis and 290 poweramp what is that going to add to it?

Comment

Gain wise, it won't be more than a triaxis... Tone wise, I'd pick the Engle in a heartbeat...

Had the TriAxis here and don't like em very much... The Engle is more of a Marshally tone and has more character than a TriAxis, just not as much gain.

The gain it does have is tighter and more defined than the TriAxis. The Engle into your 2:90 would not be as distorted as what you have now.

Comment

Working...
                X