5150 Amp settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 Amp settings

A while back, a few dudes posted the settings they had on their 5150's. I've wasted 2 hours looking for that post, and can't find it. If anybody has any reccommended settings, I'd appreciate 'em. I have a combo, if that matters. (Chuck, that doesn't mean I want fries and a Coke with my order, either! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] )

Re: 5150 Amp settings

The question is: Would you like to biggie size that sir?

Comment

Kev - I too have a 5150 combo, and I am very pleased with it. I'll post my settings, but there are a couple of qualifiers you should know. I use a wireless, which in my case, increases highs. This is not the best thing for a 5150 combo, which is a trebley sounding amp. I also use a ported extension cab, for increased bass response and a 'wall' of sound. So my settings work great for me, they *may* work for you as well.

Rythym Pre - 2
      Lead Pre - 8
      Low - 7.5
      Mid - 4
      High - 3.5
      Reverb - 7
      Rythym Post - 3.5
      Lead Post - 1.5 (damn, this is a LOUD amp!)
      Resonance - 8
      Presence - 3

Good luck, keep us posted on how your search turns out for you.

Comment

I can't remember the exact settings I used to use... but the general stuff below applies:

1) 5150s sound like a bunch of bees in a can if you just crank the preamp and keep the master volume down. Your best bet is to run the amp as loud as you can and with just enough gain to get the response you want. Keep the resonance dialed in pretty high, be careful with the presence, since it adds too much 'sizzle' at maximum settings. start with the eq (bass mid treble) at noon, then slowly adjust them. Try not to to go any extremes with the controls.

I also used the RHYTHM channel for recording - it has a decent marshall crunch to it, imho. I could also get an ok clean out of the amp, but it was too much work and I never could get a great clean AND distorted tone at the same time. Fun amp in a brute force kinda way.

Pete

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys. You've answered about 90% of the questions I had, already. Since I don't want to lose any more hearing, is a Hot Plate a wise investment for this beast? It's one freakin' loud amp!

Comment

I forgot to add, I wish I would of bought this thing a long time ago, it kicks some serious ass!

Comment

Usually the power soaks are used with lower gain amps so you can crank the power section and get more overdrive from that part of the amp. Some people like the soaks with a high gain head (chuckracer for example and his SLO). (and I use soak in a general term - hotplates, marshall power brake, the AirBrake, the Mass unit, etc... all sound different but have the same idea - to allow you to crank up an amp, but cut the volume before it hits the speaker.)

My preference regarding power soaks is to just not use them - the only amp I have that I use one with is a THD Univalve, but the soak is built in, and the amp doesn't have a gain - just a volume control. You HAVE to use it to get mucho distortion at reasonable volumes.

I'd play with amp settings quite a bit before I spent the $$$$ on a soak device. I generally never use my 'gig' amps at home - about the only hours on my single recto is from band rehearsals. It can be very frustrating trying to use an amp meant for live performances at home/super low levels.

Pete

Comment

Hey Pete, I almost have to use a Hot Plate, since my 5150 is basically my only amp. I kind of got hooked on those damn things, by using one through Chuck's SLO. That guy, always getting me hooked on crap I can't afford!

Comment

Here ya go.....

Noisy and Noiser!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

MAMA Riotwatch

Comment

Riotwatch, I like your style!
                    5 stars for you!

Comment