Pete/Ross: SLO Mod Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete/Ross: SLO Mod Question

After mucho expirementation, I have come to the conclusion that running anything into the front end, in the effects loop, or out the back (attenuator) will not do the trick for me. It all alters the sound of the amp too much for my liking.
    So, by looking at the schematics on SchematicHeaven.com, could the gain be easily increased on the normal channel? I know, the clean sound will suffer, and I'm ok with that. I can get by for the four seconds I actually need a clean.
    What do you think?

Re: Pete/Ross: SLO Mod Question

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] rock on chuck! i hear that.

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
    I can get by for the four seconds I actually need a clean.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Chuck,

I don't see any way of 'easily' adding much gain to the clean channel. The major difference in the two channels is that the lead channel has an extra gain stage (V2b). The only way to make the two channels comparable would be to route the output of V1a into V2b. This would make the two channels very similar in gain. The major issue is that I don't see a simple solution to moving VR1 and VR2, so that the channel switching would work correctly. Unless I'm missing something, I think this would be as involved as adding the volume boost we discussed before.

I'd ask Soldano again. I know I've heard of a mod (Dimartini maybe?) that gives the SLO two overdrive channels. That sounds like exactly what you want.

Btw, I got mine yesterday. I played around a bit with a clean boost tonight and I think it'll probably work well enough for my tastes. We'll have to see.

Ross

Comment

To be honest the clean boost is one I have not tried yet.
        The only problem with having Soldano do the mods is, well two problems, really. Time and money. I don't have a lot of either.
        Sounds like I better pick up a good clean boost, then. I'd be very interested in hearing how yours works out for you.

Comment

Chuck,

If you have an EQ pedal around, you can try just boosting with it (flat EQ). That should be the same thing as a clean boost, though every pedal is a bit different. I don't need much boost and am willing to live with a bit of push in the midrange, so I may be easier to please than you. I haven't found the right pedal yet, but I think I can work with what I have for now.

Soldano isn't cheap and even if they're fast it'll be a couple of weeks turnaround time. I completely understand the issues there.

So far, the SLO is exactly what I expected (I had played them before). I still don't know whether it or the Egnater will win out. The SLO has the best lead channel I've ever heard, but the Egnater has about as good of clean as I've heard and does a very good lead sound (down one notch from the SLO, but as good as anything else).

Ross

Comment

Just an FYI, an Ernie Ball volume pedal in the loop failed as well. Dumps more highs than volume when rolled back a touch. Wide open it was fine, but otherwise it murderd the tone.

Comment

If the EB pedal is passive, that's how it works. You can solder a small capacitor across two of the lugs on the pot and it will not lose highs as you turn it down. I'm guessing the pot is wired with one far tab grounded, then middle and other tab. Wire the cap across the middle and the non grounded tab - try about a 470 or 500 pf cap (you can get these at radio shack) and adjust up or down if it doesn't allow enough highs or makes it too crispy.

Pete

Comment

Working...
              X