Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mesa single recto 50 watt

how are the single recto heads the 50 watt version

are they good for a nice metal crunch and whats a good price for a used one ??

Re: mesa single recto 50 watt

I have a 50 watt head and I like it a lot. You can get lots of crunch, gain, whatever you wanna call it, out of them.

Mesa's have eq's that respond differently than most amps. For example, I set the bass to about 3 and it SUPER deep. Download a Boogie manual from their site and study the section about the eq. The bass, mid, and treble really really effect each other. You'll have to subtly tweak it.

Also, I found I love the sound thru a 4x12 but am not crazy about the 2x12.

Some of the newer heads have a switch that lets you use 6L6 or EL34 tubes, which have a dramatic effect on the sound as well.

As far as price, check ebay. I've seen them go for $700-$1000 depending on condition.

Comment

thanks for the quick response any suggestions on to go for a mesa 50 watt single or a peavey 5150 EVH head

i kinda want the mesa but i hear so many good things about the crunch on the 5150s and i love bottom end crunch

the only thing keepin me from gettin a mesa is the outragous prices even for used ones where are 5150s are only around 450 -500 used

Comment

i've always found the 5150's a little to fizzy/fuzzy to my taste.

i prefer the mesa. i've noticed that, in bold mode, and modern gain, if you crank the mid and bass knobs all the way up and take the treble and presence and turn them off... crank the gain up all the way and turn the volume up real loud... that you get the best responce from the amp. loads of crunch, cuts through perfectly, and has good sensitivity. the only issue with this setting is if you don't feel like there is enough high end, you need to turn up louder. ~Paul Reed Smith recommended settings for marshalls and rectifiers~ and damnit... he's right.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
        X