Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

amp ? Bogner, vht, soldano? which would you buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp ? Bogner, vht, soldano? which would you buy?

Ok, planning on buyin the ubershall next Thursday. However, would I be happier w/ an SLO or VHT head of some sort? Have heard pitbull ultraleads and wasn't all that impressed, but that was a while ago. Love the Ubershall, not familiar w/ SLO tone though. what about the 100 cl w/ graphic eq? anyone a/b'd or compared these amps? I'm prepared to sink the cash for the Bogner and love it, but w/ this kind of jack going out, would hate to find something next week I liked more. Help me make a more informed decision?

Re: amp ? Bogner, vht, soldano? which would you buy?

If you have that many doubts, are you sure you want to buy it?

Maybe your best bet would be a trip to a city that has those amps in stock and try them all out before you buy one. I really think you're going to never be satisfied unless you can compare them against each other.

Just my opinion.

Pete

Comment

There is quite a lot of people that are really going on about Engl amps. Maybe you should look at those as well. The Powerball is less $ than the Bogner. Figured I'd pass that along as a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by OklaStrat:
        If you have that many doubts, are you sure you want to buy it?

Maybe your best bet would be a trip to a city that has those amps in stock and try them all out before you buy one. I really think you're going to never be satisfied unless you can compare them against each other.

Just my opinion.

Pete
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ditto!

Comment

I don't mean this in a bad way, but with the number of amps you've gone through, I'd be pretty hesitant to give you my endorsement of an amp and have you buy in on my merits.

BTW, Tulsa has *squat* for boutique amps. When I gigged with the VHT, there usually were a few guitarists who would make comments about it (no, not good ones) until they heard it, then they would want to check it out. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I just get the feeling that no matter what you get, you'll be plagued with 'does x sound better' - which is a valid thought for sure. I'd say spend the $$$ to fly to chicago or some major city where you can try out all these amps... the few hundred bucks it's going to cost you will likely be worth it.

I do know that some guys on harmony central are talking about an 'amp fest III' where people bring in their amps for others to check out. New location is looking like St. Louis, and the last ampfest had Diezels, Bogners, Soldanos, Top Hat, Egnaters (hehehe), VHTs, etc... a ton of cool amps and you could check em out in person AND get 'owner' comments too.

Pete

Comment

Pete, just an fyi. I just watched KU clinch the big 12. that's huge. they did that in 1988 (the big 8 at the tiem) and won it all. oh whell. I doubt I'd be dissapointed in the uber, but the way these forums go, you always second guess your tone. anyway, the lack of convincinig arguments says go w/ teh uber, already happy w/ that. clark

Comment

You may want to check your history there. KU finished 3rd (or 4th - where was MU?) in the Big 8 in 1988, behind OU and KSU. They were not a particularly strong team, but got hot in the Final Four (after 'coasting' through the earlier rounds due to a series of upsets opposite them in the tourney.) As usual, winning the whole thing is more about being at the right place at the right time, than being the strongest team in the tourney...

If you come up to the Twin Cities, you can test drive a VHT Ultra, Soldano SLO, and a Bogner Uberschall in an afternoon. They're all good and all different. The 5150 is no more similar to a SLO than to an Uberschall. The Uberschall is no more, or less, 'ballsy' than the SLO, as I would define the term. They're just different. If the Uberschall works for you, just go for it. If it's limitation of tonal flexibility on the gain channel and limitations in how to set it up (balancing the two channels) isn't an issue for you, then it's a good match. It's got great tone. I went for the SLO because it covers more ground on the lead channel and I like it's tone slightly more. My other guitar player is using a VHT Ultra, but I it has an issue or two so won't comment on it until we check it out (just got it).

Ross

Comment

I like the VHT Classic much better than the Ultralead, much more articulate and cutting. Try that one out with the EQ(highly reccommended). Jack.

Comment

Is the Classic the same thing as the CL? I know the CL has the same lead channel as the CLX and Ultra, so they should sound almost identical. (The Ultra uses KT-88s and the CLX uses EL-34s, but are otherwise identical. I don't know what the CL's use.)

Ross

Comment

Pete,

Do you have any more info on this ampfest in St. Louis? I can do that and shoot some video as well.

Let me know...

Pat

Comment

rstites, you may be right on ku in 88. I was on the Pelelieu on a westpac float w/ the 3/6 marines. When I was at ku in 86 they won the whole shot, my mistake. Fact is, in 88 they came within 1 game of not making thtournament, but then again, it's ultimately who wins right? a nd they did beat OU by 5 points that night didn't they? Of course they've won the big 12 3 times in the last 5 years now havne't they? Rock Chalk Jayhawk, KAAAAAUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Comment

I'll continue off topic since it's your thread. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                        The tourney is definitely about who wins. I was just pointing out that it really wasn't one of their best teams and it didn't win the Big 8. It wasn't even the best team in the state. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (Aside: it went into that season very strong but lost two of the starters for the season with early season injuries.) There's almost an inverse relationship between KU's regular season and their tournament success. The better they do all season, the more likely they'll loose to a nobody in the 2nd or 3rd round. When they sneak into the tournament, they end up in the Final Four. My best friend as well as my wife's best friend went there, so we get to experience the agony of watching them exit the tourney tourney earlier than expected on an annual basis...it's really too bad because I really like Roy.

I wouldn't know about how many times anyone has won what. Basketball is just a space filler between football seasons in the Big12. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ross

Comment

I Played/Heard the amps that you want....they all are great heads with their own voice ....but what kind of sound are you looking for..

Soldano SLO ....sounds like a late era VH/Scops...kinda tone . Cool for Hard Rock to classic Metal.

all The VHTs I ever heard or played seem to be cool for Classic metal to slayer ...get one w/graphic. I played a Cl 2/12 combo w/o eg when I bought my Bogner and got a hot Van Halen tone big time and wents nuts with da eruptions....drove that poor guy crazy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My Uberschall is a brutal amp for all kinds of metal , classic to death ...Extreme metal crunchy rythms are the most brutal I've ever heard from a head IMO ...Lead tone at HIGH volume is pretty decent but still not quite satisfied ....but getting much closer..still tweaking [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm thinking that I may like the VHT lead tone a little better , but nothing beats the Uber in the brutal metal realm

But only you can be your best judge I'm afraid [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ...

[ March 10, 2003, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

pete, your point is taken. However, I know I like the uber, having tried it. I just wanted to hear about these others. You were quite a devotee of the 100cl vht at one point and I know Chuckracer loved his SLO. I could pick up either of these used for what I'm paying for teh UBER and wanted someone to compare them. If I could find an vht dealer w/ a 100cl or a soldano dealer w/ an slo I'd make the trip, but KC has neither. St. Louis or even tulsa would be better options that I might make just to be sure. any ideas where I could try these out? I'll be happy w/ the Uber I'm sure. Word on the street is that th SLO is a tonefull monster, but a similar sound to the 5150, which I wasn't satisfied w/ at all. I like the soldano's I've heard, just not ballsy liek teh uber. anyway, give me some dope on the vht cl if you would please. clark

Comment

I just got my Ultra Lead and its the best amp i have ever heard and iv tried bogners and soldanos . Sure i love the bogners and soldanos but i like the tone of the VHT , its more me. Let me just say pretty much anything with VHT , Bogner and Soldano are all kick ass and are the best amps imo. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X