5150 or Triple XXX Combos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 or Triple XXX Combos

I am in the market for a new amp. I have heard good things about the Peavey 5150 and the Triple XXX combos. I have an old Peavey that has gone through hell for years and never failed. What about the new stuff? [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: 5150 or Triple XXX Combos

Triple XXX combo is heavier than the 5150 combo , for metal anyway ! and it's better to have to much than not enough gain ! lol ! //Steve

Comment

oh yeah I like em [ XXX ] better than a boogie as well . I got the XXL soildstate head and I love the tone of that better compared to any boogie I have ever played and tons more gain as well. //Steve

Comment

I don't know about the 5150 but I just picked up the XXX combo yesterday. That thing has more gain than I could have imagined. I am a long time MP-1 fan and it's not in the same league as the XXX.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I tried out a XXX Head and 4x12 cabinet. I really liked the Lead channel, didn`t care for the crunch or clean channels, not enough gain. I went thru a bunch of trying out amps and the one I settled on was a 1993 VHT Pittbull CLX-100 2x12, extreme gain and will eat a XXX or Mesa anything for lunch. They don`t make the 100 watt Classic combo anymore, but they still make the 50 watt Pittbull 2x12 combo, you might want to check it out, but they are pricey. They also make a 100 watt Classic Pittbull head and the Ultral Lead head(more mesa sounding). Good luck-Jack.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the 5150. But, it depends on what you're doing. In any of those that you've mentioned, I'd raelly look at getting the halfstack versions. The Combos really don't compare. The Halfstack has more depth chunk and bottom. The combos tend to sound no where near as good, even though the 5150 combo is one of the few sealed back units in production, it pales in comparison to the halfstack...

For the price of a XXX or Ultra, you could get a 5150 halfstack which I actually prefer for metal anyways. The XXX is the Peavey atempt at a Rectifier it seems. Sorta fuzzy/fizzy for my taste...

Comment

[img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

What he said!!!!

The only combos I like are the pizza flavored ones.....That's It!!!

[ March 09, 2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
                [QB
                The only combos I like are the pizza flavored ones.....That's It!!![/QB]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">With cracker or pretzel shell? I prefer the cracker, but both taste good. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                X