Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VHT Pitbull Classic 2x12 combo - Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT Pitbull Classic 2x12 combo - Thoughts?

I saw this on Ebay and just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about these combos- Neddi

Pitbull Combo
    www.facebook.com/neddistanz

Re: VHT Pitbull Classic 2x12 combo - Thoughts?

There really good , they have a few different combos , which all of them are incredible. I have the ultra lead head and its unreal. Also a guy on here named slayer has a vht combo and he says its also great.

Comment

Neddi -

I noticed you were posting on the Voodoo amps board looking for a VH tone. This won't get it, if you were thinking that.

From what I can tell, the VHT on ebay is a lower gain model - which is still pretty high gain, but it's not a CL or a UL, which are the highest gain VHTs as far as I know. The CL is the two lead channels from a UL with a different power tube.

What I do not like about the combo on ebay is that it uses a EF86 as a reverb driver - these are pretty hard to find tubes, and the new ones sound like poop. I had a guy trade me straight up some EF86s that I had for NOS TungSol 5881s that retail for around $60-$75 EACH. All things considered, I personally would avoid amps that use EF86s.

You might want to look into an Egnater... I'm feeling like an Eggie cheerleader, but the tones I've heard from them were very Marshally, and they have four channels. I'll have more info once I get mine in, but right now they are looking like the amp bargain of the century.

Pete

Comment

I have a 1993 VHT Pittbull CLX-100 2x12 with EQ, but not Reverb. I highly recommend the EQ, makes them much more versitile. If you got that amp for $500, I say go for it, but I wouldn`t pay anymore for it than that. I paid $1150 for mine on Minty condition. That is an odd Reverb tube for sure, I never heard of it before.Neddi, do you want a pic of mine? Jack.

Comment

If you got that amp for $500, I say go for it, but I wouldn`t pay anymore for it than that.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You would be hard pressed to find that amp for under a grand anywhere.

Matt

Comment

I really got lucky then getting my CLX 100 for $1150 then [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] thanks Matt. Jack.

Comment

You don't want to know what I paid for my 50/CL, Jack. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

you dont want to know what i paid for my UL [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

I wanted to know anout it because I thought it seemed like a low price(right now anyway) for a VHT- Thanx for all the help fellas- Neddi
                  www.facebook.com/neddistanz

Comment

Neddi!!! Whats up bro??? The post above is exactly correct...if you are looking for the VH sound then the VHT will not deliver...They have their own thing going which is way better IMHO. I own a 1993 VHT Pittbull Classic 2X12 with reverb...the 12th one ever made, and quite possibly the first with reverb...Jack is right about the EQ...it makes the amp seriously versatile...I would definatey look for one with the EQ. I would also stay away from the 50 watters...but that again, is a personal preferance...the 50 watters just dont have that HUGE sound that the 100+ VHTs do...I'm not talking volume..the 100+watters just sound bigger...its hard to describe. I use my Pittbull for just about ANY type of music, including the occasional country song as well as the Megadeth/Metallica/Numetal stuff....The clean channel is absolutely spectacular...and the lead channel will rip your face right off...But the really cool sounds IMHO are the mildly overdriven sounds this thing gets...(think old Alice or Thin Lizzy)..they go GREAT with a strat...

The Reverb on mine is a full tank Accutronics reverb...it is absolutely wonderful...

Look for the older ones Neddi...they can be had cheaper and some of them really do sound better. if you have any questions, please feel free to drop me a line....

Comment

yet again, different strokes for different folks. The EQ on the VHT, when set to extremes (like a Metal Dood Scoop) starts to sound like a giant metal zone pedal.

I used the EQ on mine as a footswitchable gain boost - it sounded fantastic without the eq.

I'd have to say you'll get more headroom with the 100 watt, but the 50 i owned had TONS of clarity/punch - I never had the amp where it really saturated the power tubes/output transformer hard. The more you turned it up, the louder it got, unlike a vintage amp that stops getting louder at about 5 and starts saturating.

Pete

Comment

[img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] , hes right the reverb and eq are a must for a vht , not that the amp is nothing without them because i would pay the 2650$ i payed for my UL without the reverb or eq because it sounds so wonderfull. But the eq and reverb are a must for the amp to make it really verstile and to get if even more personality. The 50 watts still sound great but i will agree not as " big " as thr 100 watters but i have noticed that with alot of amps.

Comment

Working...
                        X