Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab shopping.

Dudes,

In a couple months I will be in the market for a 4x12 cabinet. I need this before I get a new amp. It has to run on 8 ohms. So I've been looking at Marshall, Mesa, and maybe VHT cabinets.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I"m looking both new and used (used preferably) maybe spending around 500 dollars.

I"m all about the death metal too.

you know the bands I like. Iced Earth, Opeth, Arch Enemy, In Flames, Soilwork, Nevermore, Darkane...Megadeth, Metallica. At teh Gates....the list goes one. Power Metal and Death Metal.

thanks dudes, and dudettes

Re: Cab shopping.

www.avatarspeakers.com

I just bought a 2x12 from him, and I am really happy with it. Call Dave up and tell him what you want (ie. type of sound) and he'll set you up.

Comment

The avatar 4x12s aren't real deep... and the tone suffers. Just FYI.

Pete

Comment

329.99 USD for the Behringer BG412S, and it growls like rabid dog!
        Mine (on the right) has the "Surround" set up and the other one is a BG412H 269.99 USD* sounds great too. I think it's a bit warmer than the other.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

For 500 dollars you should be able to get a used, (take your pick) either Vintage 30's or G12-75's in a Marshall cab.

Comment

You can get New Marshall 4x12 cabs with the GT12-75`s for $599 all day long, even at MF. I have seen them for $549 locally. I think the Emminence speakers VHT uses are horrible, it is a shame they changed fromm Celestion`s, a couple of years ago, because their Fat Bottom cabinets sound huge with Celestion V30`s or Classic Lead 80`s. I would think a Mesa Boogie cab would be the death metal sound? Jack.

[ March 11, 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: slayer ]

Comment

i have a VHT 412 P50E, i agree with jack, the eminence speaks are very shrill not at all what i expected. i run it with my peavey cab to take the edge off and recover some bottom end. both cabs will end up with a celestion/ev combo eventually.

as a matter of fact if you wanna come by and give it a listen you're welcome to.

[ March 11, 2003, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: buzzsaww ]
              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I'm gonna be goign back to Montana for spring break this weekend. but perhaps I might have to have a listen sometime in April. That'd be cool man.

Comment

Originally posted by the_drip:
                  I'm gonna be goign back to Montana for spring break this weekend. but perhaps I might have to have a listen sometime in April. That'd be cool man.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">no problem man, just lemme know
                  1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I have 2 Boogie cabs. A vertical slant 2x12 with Vintage 30s and a 4x12 metal grill 1/2 open back w/Black Shadows. Tons of low end thunk from both. The 4x12 has a nice, dimensional sound to it while the 2x12 sounds a bit more "closed".

In the Bay Area I've seen a bunch of these used lately for $200-$400.

Comment

the drip: I just though I'd chime in again to say I'm into the same stuff you are. It's all fine and dandy that so and so swears by brand X but if they think Aerosmith has the be all end all sound...(hold on) [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] (There thats better) then thats not good for guys like us, as a matter of fact I broke my new BG412S in with "Blinded By Fear"! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] This is a very tight, dark cab. I compared it right along side a brand new Marshall 1960AX Cabinet (Green backs)and some other Marshall. This thing sounded waaay better. We are recording with them this month so hang on and I'll have a sample from the studio for ya. If you want to see where I'm coming from musically you can check out my link and go to "Sounds" then click the "MP3.com" link. It's a couple years old now and home recorded with crappy equipment but it gives you an idea.

BTW I'm not saying any of the advise here is bad I really don't know (except for the Mesa cabs. You can hear us playing through those live in the first link under sound on our site) Those cabs crush too, but they are 3-4x the $!

Hope this helps.

Comment

I'm looking into a Behringer 4X12 cab too. I am hoping that my 65 watt combo can benifit from this cab. I need to be louder than my speaker and cabinet can handle in just the combo. After having heads anywhere from 100 watts to 200 watts I had never really used them to their full potential. I figure this 65 watt combo amp will do until I can find a head i like.

Comment

The one thing I don't like about the Behringer is the casters. They suck! I think the cab is just too heavy. Not a big deal, you can always buy better ones later. They also have rudder feet so you can just take em off. Of course if these things fall apart after a few gigs I'll let you guys know first! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Dave:
                            (There thats better) then thats not good for guys like us, as a matter of fact I broke my new BG412S in with "Blinded By Fear"! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cool.. so you American guys like som Swedish stuff huh... toul probably liek my band then [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Femela growler [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

This thread died 8 months ago, leave it at that.

Comment

Working...
                              X