Anyone heard the VHT preamp yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heard the VHT preamp yet?

Has anyone heard or does anyone out there own a VHT GP3 preamp? I have one coming shortly and am looking for any feedback on it?

What can it all do? "That is the Question"

Thanks!

Re: Anyone heard the VHT preamp yet?

Strangletooth has one... He likes it very much...

Lots of gain and crunch... Excellent metal sound.

Comment

I wish someone would drop a couple of samples in the mp3 forum recorded using the Cabinet Simulator/Recording Output of that thing.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I tried one at NAMM this year. I'd always like to get a piece of gear home to put it with my other rack support/enhancement gear for a more real idea of whether I'd like it or not. Alone with the VHT power amp and cab, it seemed to have very good clean and up to some really gainy snarly nasty gones. But, that snarly nasty...not my particular taste of "thrash metal nasty". And I'm not sure there was enough strong guts in its sound to work well for me. Like, with my other gear, my Egnater modular preamp, which is pretty dark sounding, gets fixed up into a really cool thrashy metal sound. It wouldn't be as good if the preamp was weaker/thinner sounding on its own...and that's what makes me hesitate on the VHT for my particular use. Because I tried alternate replacement (Randall version) preamp modules in my Egnater preamp, which seemed much thinner than the Egnater modules, and it just didn't sound nearly as good. That's where my mind was going on that.

Feel-wise, that's a different story. WIth its added inherant brightness, the VHT preamp's harmonics are more apparent and sound metal-better to my ears by itself than my Egnater's. It also "felt" more sensitive, since those qualities were more apparent...and the feel-enhancement circuit in it I think is very cool. Definitely helps the unit become more sensitive and reactive to your playing.

A lot my enhancement gear with my Eganter is aimed straight at boosting those "feel" and bright/screamy qualities that I feel it lacks...but the VHT seems to have. So, it's kind of a toss-up for me on whether the VHT would really work for me personally. On one hand, I'm unsure about its general sound...but if it did work out, I'm almost positive that its lead sound would make me happier. If I get an extra $1K or so, I might plunk down on the VHT and take the risk.

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone. I should have it within the next 2 weeks and will give anyone who's interested the whole scoop about it. I'll see about clips also.

Comment

Working...
          X