Got a DOD FX40B EQ pedal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a DOD FX40B EQ pedal.

I put this baby at the end of my chain and HOLY S!@T! Amazing. I have never used one or even thought about it until I plugged all my pedals into my friends bass amp that has a 7 band EQ on it. I liked the sound because I could suck more mids out. I was going to buy a new amp and even thought a 4X12 cab would improve the sound of my CRATE GX65 combo. This pedal did the trick alone. A 4X12 cab would improve any high volume stuff I may be doing in the future. I am stoked about this. There is no noise at all.

Re: Got a DOD FX40B EQ pedal.

I'm using the following and no, I don't mind you asking at all. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

In order:

1. Morely Pro Series Wah
    2. BOSS Metal Zone
    3. DOD FX9 Delay
    4. DOD FX40B EQ
    5. CRATE GF65 1X12 combo

GUITARS

1. Charvel Model 2 with a Seymour Duncan Distortion humbucker

2. Jackson DK2 with a Seymour Duncan Distortion humbucker and a Cool Rails single in the neck.

3. Fender Tom Delong Strat with Seymour Duncan Invader humbucker

Sometimes I use a cheap NADY wireless depending on what I'm doing at the time.

I plan on getting a Behringer 4X12 cab. One of the cheap ones in Musicians Friend for $199

I've been playing for about 20 years now. I've had alot of gear over the years from custom shop stuff to really cheap stuff and from stacks to combos. I ended up with the cheap CRATE solid state combo amps because I like the sound alot more than anything tube amp wise. I could never get into tubes. All my cheap gear together impresses alot of the younger players because it's so devoid of mids it's rediculous. It fits in well with what i do. 32 years old and still keeping up with the kids.

Comment

Nice one. Sometimes all you need is a little bit of tweaking........... I've been using the old MXR 6-band EQ's for years, (I see they've brought out a new 10-band one as well which looks good, although time will tell as to whether they've got any glitches in this one or not.) What other effects are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Nice one. I rate the Morley wahs, and it's nice to see someone using something that isn't a Crybaby for a change. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Jon Villalobos:

I've been playing for about 20 years now. I've had alot of gear over the years from custom shop stuff to really cheap stuff and from stacks to combos. I ended up with the cheap CRATE solid state combo amps because I like the sound alot more than anything tube amp wise. I could never get into tubes. All my cheap gear together impresses alot of the younger players because it's so devoid of mids it's rediculous. It fits in well with what i do. 32 years old and still keeping up with the kids.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've come accross the GFX series before, you can get a pretty good range of tones out of them; although it's been a while since I've come accross any Crate gear, for some reason stores over here (UK) don't seem to be stocking as many Crates as they used to. People seem to be getting into Laney at the moment.
        Anyway, I reckon that SS amps as a whole are under-rated. I seem to be using SS amps quite a lot now, mainly because I'm sharing a house with people who like their sleep (even at 3pm..... they're students, need I say more?) so it's not like I can crank a valve amp everytime I want to practice my guitar anymore........... Having an SS amp means I can have the volume pegged at '2' and still get a reasonably good sound (I'm use various OD units with it as well, so I can get a fair bit of crunch at lower volumes).

Comment

CRATE isn't at the top like it used to be here in New Mexico USA either. I used to be able to go into any shop and find a herd of CRATE amps ranging from micro stacks to full stacks. Peavey seems to be gaining popularity. I can't understand why though. They sound like crap to me and are way to expensive. I just got rid of my CRATE GX65 and got a GX212 120 watt amp. I found out that a 4X12 cab will not work. The GX65 is 65 watts into 4 ohms and it would not drive the cab. The speaker in the amp stayed on. That means it must have a 4 ohm setup in a small extension cab like a 1X12. The GX212 is made for a 4X12 cab. When you plug a cab into it it shuts off the speakers in the amp. It runs 120 into 8 ohms. I'm not sure what all that means, but it is maing more sense. When I used to gig on a regular basis I used to plug into our gigantic PA system we used to rent. All I ever needed was my small 40 watt CRATE G40C and a few pedals, mic it and send it off to the PA. It was the best setup I have ever used. Now that I have this big it's alot nicer because I have owned one before and it could drown out drums, but the cabinet sucks. It hums and rattles when you use the sucked mids tone I like. A Behringer 4X12 cab will work out great. It can handle 300 watts and is built like a brick. The reasoning behind all this is that the people I'm playing with don't have a PA. If we end playing the local pubs we will most likely end up with a PA. That will be the end of my stack needs and I will get a smaller amp more suited to my needs. This process is alot of fun and a big learning experience. All this playing has gotten me back on my feet.

Comment

Hey Jon, try using the eq and the delay pedal in the effects loop of the amp. If your Crate is anything like mine though you will have to get a Y-cable to use the loop. I also used to use a Morley Pro Series II wah, but it decided to crap out on me.

Comment

Jon, don't forget! One of the things we need stacks for is, when we stand back and look at our wall of amp and get a big ol' stiffy! I still miss my '78 JMP 50 watt head and full stack of 8 12s! I felt
              like a certified player with that rig!

I like my SOUND better now though!

Rich
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I've got one of those DOD EQ pedals, got it brand new in the early/mid '80s (the gray one with red sliders) and it's still going strong today, not that I use it all that much anymore, but it's still holding up just fine. The newer ones are gray with black sliders, I believe.
                They've got a little more frequency range with 18dB cut/boost than the Boss 15dB range.
                I usually use it in my effects loop, as I think it sounds better there than in front of the amp.

[ March 16, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

After listening to those with far greater skill and smarts than I (Oh yea, and Chuck too ;-) I took a hop up to the new Sam Ash in Vegas today and became 'equalized.' I picked up an FX 40B and a Boss DS1 to go with my Marshall Lead 12 Stack.

That EQ opened up a whole new world of sound that I had no idea that little amp had. Friggin amazing what an equalizer will do. And for about $60, you simply cannot go wrong.

Normie
                  (The Converted)

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I have found that having a 4X12 cab is the wood givingest thing there is. I havn't got one yet, but soon. I had to upgrade to a CRATE GX212 120 watter. That little 65 watt CRATE I had didn't cut it very well and could push a 4X12. It would go to 8 ohms. The GX212 can though. The cabinet sucks so I'm going to make a head out of it and run it into a 4X12. My EQ enhanced setup does the same trick on the bigger amp as well. Now I have a good mixture of guitars with different pickups, DiMarzio and Duncans. I'm in hog heaven! Now it's time to play........c-ya

Comment

Working...
                    X