Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does yngwie use?

hello everyone,
    i was listening to yngwie malmsteen(sp?)'s version of beethoven's fifth and a song called blue. i wanted to know what he uses to get his sound. i really like his single note tones although his rhythm tones aren't that great. it sounds like he has some type of harmonizer or something...any help would be great. thanks!

Re: what does yngwie use?

Not overly-familiar with those songs, however, I've dug up some stuff on what Malmsteen used gear-wise in general.

He ran his guitar into a splitter/switching system. He had a few Korg Digital delays (SD-2000 model I think) and a noise reducer hooked up into that, as well as a Crybaby and a flanger. He ran all of his gear into a Marshall power-amp, then into a bunch of Marshall heads/cabs. I'm pretty sure he had some old Moog gear as well that he ran alongside his rig, running it straight into the mixing desk.

Sorry I can't be of more use.

[ March 12, 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: halfmoonbay ]

Comment

When I saw the topic the things that immediatley came to mind were, fork, spoon, hands. Anything to get more food in his mouth. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Yeah, I was gonna bag on him too but then I'm not exactly "leather pants material" either. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Fat or thin, he still sets a standard for shred.

Comment

*Ding-dong*.. *twinkies*.. *Ho-Ho*

It is reputed that while massive consumption of these keep Yngwie alive n kicking, he does not endorse Hostess products as it might lead to an image problem.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Some days I have no shame..

[ March 13, 2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

maybe if i eat a box of twinkies and wear leather pants, i'll play as good as him [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

it'll also save me alot of money since twinkies cost alot less than rack gear [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Beethoven's 5th Symphony was not played by Yngwie. You probably downloaded that off Kazaa, and that was NOT Yngwie playing it. First of all, it sounds nothing like him. Second of all, it even says who made it in the description.

Yngwie does use a harmonizer.. he has many. I know that he owns an Eventide harmonizer.. and also heard that he used to use a Boss Octave pedal... but over the years I'm sure he stopped using that for better equipment.

He uses his Signature Yngwie Malmsteen stratocaster, plus his older strats before the Signature one came out. DiMarzio HS3 bridge, YJM middle and neck. Jumbo frets, scalloped fretboard.

Marshall 1970s Mark II heads, Marshall cabinents. DOD overdrive pedal.. recently came out with a signature DOD overdrive pedal. Rhino Amplifiers also recently came out with a signature Yngwie Malmsteen amp. Nails his tone, or almost anyway IMO. Never played through one though... just judging by the sound clips on his site.

Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
              Fender Extra Heavy strings
              8 guage strings tuned to Eb.. nowadays he tunes lower sometimes. I believe on a few songs of the War To End All Wars album he tuned to D.

Get all of this stuff, eat a bunch of powdered doughnuts and twinkies and make sure your fingers get nice and plump. Then learn neo-classical scales and arpeggios and you're there! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

NOTE: Somewhere Over the Rainbow, the MP3 that has been going around on KaZaa being labled played by Steve Vai, and sometimes Yngwie Malmsteen is WRONG. Chris Impellitteri played that version.

Need you know anymore? lol [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Word:
                Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
                Fender Extra Heavy strings
                8 guage strings tuned to Eb..
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you mean extra heavy picks, as 8's are very light strings. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

LOL yeah.. I meant picks.. my bad.

Comment

Easy:

http://uk.geocities.com/strat110/gear.html

Comment

Working...
                    X