Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything you know about the JCM 900 head and 1936 Cab...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything you know about the JCM 900 head and 1936 Cab...

...I need to know what a fair price for this set up would be and whether it would be a good set up for playing thrash metal and neoclassical.
    Plus any other information or oppinions you might have.
    I have a chance to get that set up locally for what seems to be an ok price but i'm not sure

Re: Everything you know about the JCM 900 head and 1936 Cab...

50 or 100. Is it a dual reverb or an SLX? Personlly I would look for something else. But if you like it and it sounds good to you that is what matters. I have heard an SLX that sounded good. If you really want it.I wouldn't pay more than 400 for the head regardless of model and wattage and 200 for the cab.

[ March 13, 2003, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: LRGman ]

Comment

ummm...not sure....i had about five minutes to look at the thing before the mother dragged me out of the store

Alrite...all I noticed was that it had two channels i believe...I haven't actaully goten to play through the thing yet, This would be my first forray into the world of "Big amps" everything up until now has been under 50 watts and solid states

[ March 13, 2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Ozzman ]

Comment

ok...i think on saturday I'm gonna try it out and see if I like it.
        If i do I might go for it, he's asking 1300 CANADIAN for the whole set up and I'm sure I could work him down a 1 or 2 hundred bucks. Would this be a fair price? also taking into account things like this rarely or never show up around here.

Comment

Haha, that's funny LRG, I was just gonna say that the 4100 dual reverbs I used to run were sorta cool, but don't buy the SLX as they are flatulent flubmonsters...

We had some here that I thought were horrid sounding beasts...

Some here at the JCF do like them though...

Comment

Hey, My singer has a 4100 for sale if you want it.

He loves the Recto, Pete! Thanks! Now I just need to convince him he don't need those crummy Tung-Sols, and find me two more...

Comment

That is wierd I have a friend that has a reverb and it really was obnoxious sounding and was always breaking down. And, another that has a SLX that is pretty sweet. The friend with the SLX told me you have to look inside them because some have differnt parts. I don't remember but I think it was more than just transformers. I will ask him when I see him this weekend. I am curious.

That is the thing about marshall's, the sound can vary so much from amp to amp of the same model.

OZZMAN : that is 800 US, sounds a little steep. I would try to get him down to around 600 US. Then if you don't like it you can get your money back out of it. Sounds like you are looking to purchase your first major amp( I might be wrong ). Take your time and play some different amps. If you are not in a city with alot music stores. I would watch the classifieds/and or take a trip to a major city. Once you get it you will probably have it for a while.

[ March 13, 2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: LRGman ]

Comment

Note:

If the "whole setup" is a head and a 4-12 900 bottom... That's like 400 each, not exactly a horrible price if they aren't beat and are clean...

And considering if they're not readily available in that area. The heads seem to run $400-$600 on the bay depending on what it is exactly...

$300-$400 is fairly good for a Marshall cab with celestions.

Comment

A 1936 is a 2x12. That is what I was thinking, that it was about halfstack price, but it only has the 2x12.

[ March 13, 2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: LRGman ]

Comment

Ahh, good cal LRG! I missed that!

Comment

Well the thing that makes it appealing for me is that this is actually attainable for me. Around here they only carry practice amps or new, really expensive half stacks with 4x12's and what not.
                      I really don't have the cash to go new, and this is the first decent sized used amp I've seen around here in 2 years.
                      I'll try it out and if I like it I'll try and work him down to 1100 canadian.
                      Although I'm not even sure if it'll be something I like yet, so I'll play it for awhile on Saturday.

I'd prefer not to go E-Bay or classifieds if I can help it, just because I'd like to play the EXACT unit I'll be getting before I put down cash, because as someone already mentioned there can be variety even between two of the same model.

Comment

I just had another idea, if the head is what I'm looking for I might be able to pull this off. I'd buy the used head and then buy a new, nicer 4x12.
                        I might be able to make that happen for the same price.

Comment

Working...
                        X