XXX or 5150/stomp boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XXX or 5150/stomp boxes

I am looking for some input on which combination of the above will get me the 80's
    metal sound.

Re: XXX or 5150/stomp boxes

Neither of those are 80s metal sounding amps really...

IMO, the XXX is, although a somewhat cool amp, a pale attempt at a Dual rectifier competitor.

The 5150, a very cool amp for my needs, is pretty much the sound you are hearing on current metal coming out of Europe...

A Marshall of some sort and maybe pedals is more of a 80s metal sound.

An 800 with OD-1 or Tube screamer is a Bay area thrash sound,

Maybe an ADA MP1 into a power amp or maybe a Marshall 800 is more hair metalish...

Maybe clarify closer what 80s metal sound...

Comment

Scorpions,Ratt,Dokken,Judas Priest,Iron Maiden,Ozzy/Zakk Wylde. You know 80's hard rock! I know most of them played Marshall Stacks, isn't there anything that will get me close to that sound for around a grand$$ and not get me divorced?

Comment

Wellll.. Are you looking to play out ever? or are you enjoying your talents at home?

If you're gonna play out, we could get deep getting a legit tone for that stuff at high volumes... I know I have.

Don't be shocked my friends but.... If you're playing quietly at home, I'd look to amp modeling stuff maybe... Maybe the Vetta combo or something... That would be the most flexible and nail a lot of that stuff, but best for low volume stuff. Not sure I'd wanna play live with it...

Were you thinking combos, or halfstacks or what?

A possible cool setup for that stuff "could" be a Voodu Valve, a Mesa 20/20, and a smallcab... It would come close to most of that stuff... and do both live and home somewhat... And still be tube!!!

The Vetta is certainly cool for DSP stuff though... Sorta pricey but sorta cool...

Comment

A VHT Pittbull Classic will get you there, they were made for Thrash and Speed Metal. I have a 1993 VHT Pittbull CLX-100 without Reverb, but has the Graphic EQ. It is a 2x12 combo with 2-12 inch Celestion Classic Lead 80`s that blow your hair back!! It has 3 channels: Lead,Rythym and Clean. You can still but the head version or the 50 watt combo version, they discontinued the 100 watt combo version. They also make an Ultra Lead now, but is targeted to compete with the more modern amps. Look on Ebay, I see the Classsics on there all of the time lately. Look for an older one with at least a Graphic EQ. Don`t get the 45 Watt single 12 inch combo, different animal. It will be easier to get the head version I think, 4-EL34`s and 5 12AX7`s in the Pre-Amp, massive power and headroom and smooth and nasty at all volumes, but the clean channel is sweet to!! I have a picture of mine if you like at: [email protected] You will not be disappointed in the 100 Watt Pittbull Classic Combo or Head [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

[ March 15, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: slayer ]

Comment

Well either get yourself a 5150 Half Stack if ya want to get a modern ballsy tone ala...In Flames / Arch enemy ..
            Or, a Marshall 800 or even the weenier 900 Half stack would do with a simple cool box like a Ibanez TS 9 or Boss OD 1....for the classic stuff your lookin' for....Ratt / Dokken

You should able to find either for well under a grand ...especialy the 5150 stuff...Which John and I prefer

If ya want to get a little more flexible ...the Rocktron and Line 6 stuff should suffice as CM stated

Good luck!

[ March 15, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
            X