Pete - tube amp book qts again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pete - tube amp book qts again

One other suggestion here. Check out the 18 W Marshall forum/group. Those are basicly Super Lead type preamps into EL 84 power sections, and sound roughly like your eventual goal. I know there's a link to that group through the Ampage that I mentioned above.

Ross

Comment

I love the sound of a cranked EL84 amp - they remind me of 34s, but they distort easier/quicker, which is a good thing, imho.

Gary Gerhart is really thinking about building a 2 EL84 amp kit with your choice of AC30 or Plexi style preamp, plus gain mods if you want em... and making a kit where it's all there - cab, chassis prepunched, mercury magnetic transformers, whole shooting match just like the G Jr kits. And he's looking to do them at a very good price point. If he does it, I'm building one - his 1/2 watt kit I built was a breeze and everything was perfect in the kit. Check out that 18 watt marshall link, but wait for Gary's kit... I guarantee it'll smoke anything else out there for the money and for the performance you'll get.

Pete

Comment

rstites I didnt have time to check that page out yesterday Im definately going to check it out tonight after school n stuff, I saw one guys' clone and it looked sweet. I gonna make a lot of Orange & Red Marshall clones [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Im a big fan of EL 84's cause they're inexpensive and sound killer [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I hope Gary will come out with those new kits I'd definately buy one.

Comment

Another good amp building board is at

http://pub40.ezboard.com/bhoffmanamplifiers

The associated site is a good source for some amp parts if you go past kits.

http://www.hoffmanamps.com/

Comment

Thank ye, much appreciated.

Why is it that all the site I come across, including this hoffman site are all for fenders? Like all the transformers, chassis and other things this guy is selling, and everyother guy, is for vintage fenders.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for small guys/companies that do the same for Marshalls?

[ March 18, 2003, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: Marshall tone ]

Comment

Hoffman used to carry Marshall stuff. He offered a very nice PTP wired board for replacing the stock PCB in the Marshall reissues.

I wonder if everyone else has basicly bowed under to Obsolete Electronics when it comes to Marshall transformers. They're prices are very good and their reputation is excellent. The only isse is that they only offer transformers for the 'standard' 50 and 100 W heads. Here's the link http://www.obsoleteelectronics.com/.

[ March 19, 2003, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: rstites ]

Comment

Hey buddy I think ya forgot the link [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X