Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar cables that look like telephone cords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar cables that look like telephone cords?

Hey guys, in old pictures of guitarists, some of them have a guitar cable that's curly like a telephone cord. Anyone know what this is? I thought it would be cool, cause it seems like it would stretch, so you wouldn't just get to the end of your cable and get yanked back, or pull your amp sideways, or if you don't have your cable wrapped around your strap, yank it out of your guitar input.

Thanks,
    Nick

Re: Guitar cables that look like telephone cords?

It also never gets in knots. Very useful

Comment

That's just an old style of cheap a$$ed cable that used to be around. Though cool in a way, they always failed after a awhile... And did all the stupid tricks that phone cords do when your woman stretches it out too far...

Be thankful they're impossible to find..

Comment

One came with my friends crappy Guitar package

Comment

Just go wireless and you won't have those problems either [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I know alot of guys don't bother unless their onstage, but I swear I use my wireless in my 6x6 bedroom HAHAHA.
          Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I actually saw some for sale at Radio Shack, in like 20 foot lengths, if you must find out for yourself. They're like $7. They're actually sold as guitar cords.

Comment

They're called California Coils and I believe that Fender sold/marketed them first. If I'm not mistaken, this is one of the cables that Fender would give you when you bought one of their guitars back in the 60's. I would never use one of these cables, but I have seen some higher end coils produced. (By higher end I mean a $50 cable) I also seem to remember video footage of a certain lefthanded black guitar player with one of these cables stretched between his strat and Marshalls!?

Comment

...And the absolute bees knees for resistance, signal degradation, and noise.

Comment

Yeah,they sound crappy and noisy, and all the things you mentioned in the starting post, they still do. Pull out of the guitar, jerk you up short, pull on your amp, or pull out of the amp. The only real advantage is that you won't trip on your own cord, since they don't trail on
                  the floor.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I also have reason to believe they may actually be alive...

I vividly remember throwing them in a gig bag of other misc cables and they would entangle themselves with every cable in the bag into an impenetrably useless mess...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                      That's just an old style of cheap a$$ed cable that used to be around. Though cool in a way, they always failed after a awhile... And did all the stupid tricks that phone cords do when your woman stretches it out too far...

Be thankful they're impossible to find..
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I know exactly what you're talking about too...they kinda create a U-shape and it's impossible to undo it, lol

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've still got one around here somewhere. I don't know what you guys are talking about - this cable will give any guitar instant mojo and a genuine "vintage" crackle. The more you move, the more "mojo" the cable feeds into your amp. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Oh is that what you call it Gary?

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Oh yes....That's what gave Hendrix all his MoJo..

That cord is what made Hendrix ..Da Man!!

All that Buzz , Feedback , noise , Snap , Crackle and pop is what put Jimi on the map....and it was all because of that twisted magical cord
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                            X