Soldano Atomic 6 - Pete's frankenstein clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano Atomic 6 - Pete's frankenstein clips

Pics and clips here... I've decided to call it an Atomic 6 since it's only 6 watts. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

http://members.cox.net/ampclips/Atomic6.htm

Pete

Re: Soldano Atomic 6 - Pete\'s frankenstein clips

I can't believe it, but that little thing sounds pretty bad ass for what it started life as! Thanks for the clips, good show!

[ March 16, 2003, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Lordofgain ]

Comment

Sounds good. What's next for this poor little Champ?

Comment

Lots of filtering. Thing is way too trebly for my taste... it really sounds like a hopped up fender instead of a hopped up marshall, so I'm going to goof around on the tone stack and also some caps.

Gary Gerhart was kind enough to go over the schematic with me when I was troubleshooting it, and apparently there are some spots where gain is being thrown away. I may reclaim some of it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

It didn't sound bad over my crappy little computer speakers, but then they don't have much for tweeters.

I'd try removing the 470 pF bypass resistor first since it's the easiest. After that I suppose the tone stack is next. Someone out there has a neat little online tone stack simulater.

You're giving me that itch to try something on mine again, but I just don't have time...

Ross

Comment

It doesn't sound bad at all - just reminds me of a Fender Champ with more gain instead of a Marshall-style amp.

duncan amps has the tone stack calculator, so I'm going to use it to get the mids out more and also cut down a bit on the high end.

Your vibro champ would be perfect Ross - all you'd have to do is rewire the tagboard. If you ever do it, let me know and I'll send you a copy of the layout I did.

Pete

Comment

Did you put a 3 band EQ in yours? I've wondered what rewiring the tone stack to a Baxandall style would do for it. That's supposed to load the circuit less and give more control out of two EQ controls. You could try converting it to an EL-84.

The thing is that I use mine clean a lot now and really like the clean, so if I add more gain I'd like to make it switchable. I think I've mentioned before the idea of simply rewiring the tremelo 12AX7 to be two additional gain stages. I'd convert the two controls for it to be gain and lead volume (so I could balance it with the clean sound). I may tackle it someday, but have no time for side projects this semester.

I am starting to plan a complete amp and may go that way too. It'll be a little grand for me to tackle as one whole project, so I'm thinking about it as a modular project where I'll gradually add to it. They key is to get the big picture first so the chassis is big enough for the long term goal and the power section can handle everything down the road. It'll probably be next fall/winter, since this spring is too tight and in MN we don't spend our short summers indoors. I'll run it by you via email for suggestions when it gets closer to actually happening.

Ross

Comment

Working...
              X