cheap dream rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cheap dream rack?

I'd say to stay within your budget, I'd look for a Mosvalve MV-962 Power Amp, you find them on eBay quite frequently for around $120-150 and they are good for the money.
    Then, I'd check into an ADA which can be found for give or take $100.
    Then get a Quadraverb (I'd get the GT, just cause it has a distortion section in it, which I probably would never use other than for maybe a slight overdrive tone with an ADA clean patch).
    Quadraverb GTs are around $75-120 on eBay.
    Those three pieces and you'd get a good respectable tone for right at/around $300, then you can use the other rest of the money for a foot controller and rack <Seriously, try to get an old ADA foot controller, they seem to have the least amount of lag between patches.>

As a personal opinion, I'd stay far away from ART gear, unless you find an ART reverb, delay or some other minor effect that can be used VERY sparingly. Their preamps SUCK BALLS.

If you can come up with a couple extra bucks, I'd get a Pod Pro WITH FOOTCONTROLLER! <This makes all the difference!!> and a decent power amp <I'd suggest a Boogie 50/50, but those are a good $400>.

Comment

How about the ADA Microtube 100 for the power amp?

Comment

Sure, that'd work fine for keeping the cost down.
        Since you're on a budget, just about any power amp in those price ranges is going to be suitable.
        Check out some of the old Peavey power amps too, those can be great for cheap power.
        Of course, if it were me, I'd sell/pawn/donate blood, whatever to come up with enough $$$ for a Boogie 50/50. Every 50/50 I've had has been glorious. You could get a 50/50 and an ADA for now and still stay around your $500 range.
        If you had that, that'd be a great start till you could work up to a better preamp. ADA's are very tempermental it seems. I have had several thru the years, some were so-so, others were great. I had one that was modified by Tod Langner that SCREAMED and I kick myself for parting with that one, but such is life.
        If you could pull off a 50/50 and an ADA, that'd really get you a GREAT start to great tone.
        I wouldn't be too concerned with effects and those sort of things. Maybe a cheap delay unit or something... but if you work with a scaled down rig with minimal to no effects, it'll make you a better player quicker that sitting around hiding your playing imperfections with delays and reverbs.
        I'll give you a tip though, whatever you do decide to get, try to finance the purchase of an older BBE Sonic Maximizer in there, that can make a semi-decent preamp sound killer and a killer preamp even better. GREAT GREAT INVESTMENT IN TONE!! Another piece you might consider is a decent PARAMETRIC EQ, don't waste too much time with graphic EQs, even though they look cooler.

Comment

Jim.... I read that Vito Bratta used to run his mp-1 through one of those BBE maximizers... thats how he used to get the thing to sound so nice!.

Ok, now that we are talking about nice power amps and all.. what do you use for a cabinet anyway?

Comment

I second and third [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] the BBE! Just don't get one any lower than a 428. The one with the built in noise gate really kinda does nothing. 362 I think.
            Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

V-Twin

That's already the $400!...

Comment

Actually, what I have is two Line6 Flextone II Heads, one goes into a Laney 4x12 with H|H speakers, the other goes into a Carvin Legacy Steve Vai 4x12.

Comment

WELL.. that ilnk didnt come out the way I wanted!... sorry about that.

Comment

Late to the party, but...

My cheap rack sounds great:
                    Rocktron Voodu
                    Tubeworks MV962
                    2x generic 1x12s with Celestions

I've also tried the Voodu with a Mesa 20/20. Oddly, the 20/20 doesn't sound as good as the Mosvalve. This has mystified me ever since I got it.
                    This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

my cheap rack was a mesa v-twin & a mosvalve. it sounded pretty good & cost me $400.

Comment

so I went rack hunting in the local shops yesterday and tried the mp-1. The thing sounds GREAT!... I really liked. Luckily the shop had a MosValve also and I tried that with the ADA into a Mesa cabinet. Very seriuos sound there... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] nice distortions and cleans.. I even thought the chorus in the mp-1 is almost decent

I tried some T.C. electronics units as well I thought they were too expensive and the presets were not very impressive... I couldnt find any rocktrons here in Vancouver so I still dont have my own impressions about those.... need to look more.

However, when I came back home I played on my Fender Ultimate Chorus amp I almost broke in tears just by the thought of selling it. I know it is not a tube amp, but I love the thing... I dont know if I should change that amp for the Mosvalve and a cabinet... I am really wondering what I should do!...

Comment

My opinion in almost every situation when getting new gear is, if you can possibly manage to keep your old gear and buy the new gear--do it! It's smart to be able to completely A-B the different units directly and, as long as you don't HAVE to sell your current amp for any reason, why not keep it? That way you keep all your options open, and don't end up regretting getting rid of something.

Comment

what do yu guys think of this?...

web page

Comment

Get some more info about the unit, including pics of the unit for sale...that auction looks sketchy....

[ March 21, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Boxcar Willie 84 ]

Comment

Alright guys, Rocktron Voodu Valve on its way to Vancouver. I am pretty sure I will like it. I am thinking about buying a MosValve I saw for US$160 here...

The cabinet thing worries me though... not enough money right now...

Comment

Working...
                                X