cheap dream rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cheap dream rack?

I disagree with you. Your first post had good descriptions of what your covered. The BBE description was very good. I still don't understand how they really do this as it's almost impossible in any real system to delay lows more than highs. These units can either tighten things up or make them sound sterile (or both, I suppose). We tried one in our other guitar player's VHT Ultra loop and it did give his sound a bit more attack. I want to try it with my Egnater too.

Comment

I find the nicer the amp, the worse the BBEs sound in them...

My CAE3+se/VHT2150 sounds horrid with a BBE in it, yet a 5150 thrives nicely in its presence. My Voodu/Marshall 100/100 or VHT2150 combinations didn't sound so great with it I remember.

I find it makes them sound over processed (same thing with the ProQ too, nowhere near a sbad tho). Which is why I spend thousands on tube units, haha...

I sure laughed when I saw Jon Schaffer using a 5k Larry amp and needed a BBE422a to get his sound. hehe... That certainly must suck to spend that dough and still need a BBE...

I will say I DO like the BBE software on my Sonar 2.1.

Comment

The VHT head I had sounded great to me with my BBE, as does my Egnater preamp...they must both be crapola... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm quite sure those amps are fine high quality amps... hehe...

Just depends on what you want out of them I guess... I'm looking for brutal, raw, visceral tube sound... And slowly leaning away from the processed sound. It has its place though for sure. Just not in my rack.

I have a couple BBEs here that come off the shelf occassionally just to make sure I wasn't being harsh in their judgement. Umm, they always go back on the shelf fairly quickly, hehe...

It's not my bag, baybeee... [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Hehehe...you know I'm goofin with ya, John... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

guys,

Alright, that was the course on effects rack units... how about cabinet?... I am just feeling a little cabinet-less with a MosValve and a Voodu Valve but nothing to play them through!... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Specific questions:

1) what to buy, what not to buy?

2) Difference between 2x12 and 4x12 (other than volume)

P.S. What did you think of that bengala solist in the classified section?...

Comment

I'd try to get a used Marshall 4x12 w/celestions. Actually one good unknown cab that can be had cheap also is the Ampeg 4x12s that are loaded with 75 watt celestions. gotta look for the celestion tag on it though.

Unless you get a Bogner or Mesa 2x12, The 4x12 cabs will have a much healthier chunk to it.

Preferably at least, Look for something that's loaded with celestions. I personally prefer 75 watters as I feel they have tighter bass, nice edge and stay tight at volume. Some like the Vintage 30s more, they are more midrange oriented I believe...

If you hit the lottory, look at the MESA 90watt 4x12. They're assuredly excellent pieces. But, expensive.

Comment

I'm currently running an SP-77/Mesa 20/20 rig though a VHT Fat Bottom 2x12, and it sounds killer. It can't do Uberschall chunk, but the VHT cab definitely has good, meaty bottom end. Check one out if you can....

-Kenn

Comment

I run a VHT Pittbull CL-100 2x12 with 2 Celestion Classic Lead 80`s speakers into a Madison 2x12 with Madison Symphony 85 speakers, I like the this setup because the Lead 80`s are Mid and High heavey, and the Symphony`s are Low heavy, but not muddy, a very nice mix for Rythym Chunk, now Soloing can suffer a little, but I play Rythym exclusively, I suck at Soloing [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Hey jack , how can you suck at soloing with nice soloist you got [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X