Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ada mp-1, how close to mesa sound?

Me again!
    Still loking for that great tube pre-amp!
    Now understand something.
    I come from europe, southern part of it, and we donst share the same amount of american made amp dealers, as you.
    For example, here Orange is almost impossible to get, so please dont advise me of any soldano amps for that matter.
    We are not in any hole, but we cant get everything at least not to try it out. YOu can buy everything you want (e.g. E-bay9 but i like to try out my gear to be, if you know what i mean.

Now, enough with the cheat-chat.
    What is your opinion about ada mp-1!
    I could get a great deal and try it out before buying.
    But i respect your opinion here.
    So out with it.

thanx a lot!

Re: ada mp-1, how close to mesa sound?

If you want a Mesa sound in a preamp, just check out the rack Rectifiers... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd pretty much have to say that an MP-1 is generally NOT gonna get the MESA sound... The MP-1 is the sound of hair metal from the 80s... Sort of a Marshal/pedal sound really.

There really isn't much that does get he MESA sound, except "maybe" the Peavey XXX (pale imitation). Or "maybe" the Line 6 stuff, again, a pale imitation.

I've heard Micheal Romeo use the Line 6 Vetta to emulate his Triaxis and Recto sounds from the Symphony X studio stuff in a live situation, and he does ok for the most part.

For the most part, you want MESA, you have to get MESA...

All this advice coming from someone who doesn't like MESA, or Line 6... But, I have a very good grip on the tones and the equipment and have played a lot of MESA stuff.

Comment

Wow - a Slovenian JCFer! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        <font size="-2">

[ March 18, 2003, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: nor ]
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

MP-1 is a pretty good preamp for the money, it is what it is and it does sound good.. but like Cleveland says.. it isn't gonna be a Mesa.

You'll get alot more out of a Triaxis than a MP-1 but you'll probably pay 7 times what an MP-1 costs too. Mesa will move air, punch dynamically..

MP-1 will be kinda smoothed over, compressed "processed" but it still does a great job for a 100-150 bucks... kinda has that Rockman thing happening with the built in chorus.
          You could try a MP-2 with more effects for about 125.00 more than a MP-1.

Comment

Peavey gear is fairly common over there,
            isn't it?

Again, not a MESA, but the Rockmaster preamp is a great bang-for-the-buck tube
            preamp with 3 channels and many effects
            patching options. They go for around $125 here, so if you double that for Europe it still ain't bad. It's basically the preamp from the Ultra, which was the basis for the XXX.

You want one that has the footswitch though,so you can use it right.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The Rockmaster rips! Hidden gem, those things!

Comment

Yup, if you want a sorta more realistic tube sound and feel, the Rockmaster I think is a pretty decent unit for the $. I had one a while back...kinda wish I had it again now to fiddle with, since I've added a lot to my setup since then. Aye yi yi...hehehe...

lerxstcat is right...DEFINITELY make sure you get the footswitch if you get one. I thought a standard one would work with it, and was completely disappointed that it didn't. It almost randomly switched between the clean channel and the two distorted channels--not exactly reliable for use that way hehehe.

Comment

well, the Rockmaster does have some usable tones..I thought it was to bright overall (I know.. EQ it)
                  I didn't think it was shrill, the clean was really nice, but I just found it a little to top end for ME. Been awile since I tried one tho.. it was one of the first preamps I tried when shopping for one.. I chose the MP-1 over it.
                  Some guys love em.

Comment

Well an MP1 has effects and preset locations so it's a cheap "all in one" but it's sorta got that Rockman vibe, to me. The Rockmaster is a dedicated preamp, and has great effects loops for patching in your other stuff. I'd go for
                    a Rockmaster and a Quadraverb for a cheap and easy 4-tube preamp and effects combo
                    on the cheap. The MP-1 is only 2 tubes.

Again, remember our friend is in Europe and many items that are dirt-cheap here may not be available, let alone cheap, in
                    his market area. Peavey has a big prescence over there, which is why I thought he may find a Rockmaster for a good price.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

so what you guys are reccomending is peavey and not to go for the ADA?

And let me correct myself.
                      It's not so hard to get something but to try it out first is here almost impossible!

So ADA, good or bad?

Comment

It's up to you. It can't hurt to try out the MP1; you may really like it, and what
                        YOU like is most important. It's a lot of bang for the buck, but gives you more
                        of the 80's sound than today's sound.

The Peavey is a preamp only, no effects,
                        but I think it's more versatile AS a preamp than the ADA is. You can get a much heavier sound. It may need a separate EQ to really get heavy lows, as
                        Charvelguy mentioned, but it's a good tone machine.

If you can try out both, do so, then decide which is best for you.

Regards.

Rich
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X