Adding more bass to a 2x12 combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding more bass to a 2x12 combo?

Maybe a dumb question... I know closed back cabinets offer better bass response than the more airy-sounding open back cabinets, so I'd like to know if I can get my 2x12 Valvestate combo to have a deeper bass response by just connecting a piece of wood and covering the opening of the cabinet. Anyone ever do anything like this? Or would this just be a dumb idea? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Adding more bass to a 2x12 combo?

Sounds like a good idea to me... Put some fiber insulation in there when you do, that helps closed back cabs a lot for bass chunk....

Comment

Cool, thanks! I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Comment

Is there anything on the amp that would get too hot if it were sealed?

Pete

Comment

I don't believe so. Maybe I should leave a little vent just in case?

Comment

Putting wood across the back will give you less bottom. The speakers in your cabinet are designed to run free air that means no back pressure putting wood across the back will create less volume for the speaker to run in meaning they will have less travel because of the back pressure created by the smaller volume meaning less base. Sealed cabinets have a different design speaker it's called Air Suspension and the volume of the cabinet is critical in controling the speakers movement. These typical have some kind of transmision line or port. They are common in consumer stereo systems. They lack the mid highs of a free air guitar speaker.

The only thing you can do is dope the cone. Try a good speaker repair shop that does recones and tell them what you want to do. It's easy to do yourself you just paint the dope on the cone. This will give the cone more mass lowering it's frequency responce. You will loose some efecinsy and top end. You could also try placing your amp in a corner of the room on the floor and moving it in out. The sound will resonate out the back of your cabinet against the corner creating standing waves which will give you more bottom.

Hope this helps BB

Comment

Thanks for the advice BB. I actually have it on an amp stand in a corner. I'll take it off and just put it on the floor and see what happens.

Comment

Run a BBE in the loop ...that always seems to be the first quick fix for a weak bottom end...It may work with your valvestate. I run mine with my JMP-1 at home....definately improved the bottom end....

....but I run mine with four 1960b Marshall cabs,,, [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well, proper venting of electronics is (as pete said) is certainly a concept to ponder.

I'd say that I've seen often the same speaker speakers in an open back combo as in a closed back cab. Never hard much about that concept of the speakers being different in open backed vs closed back guitar amps. In a real speaker like a car stereo, yeah, in guitar amps? not really...

I would maybe figure a way to box in the speakers while leaving room to get air to the electronics. I would not vent the speaker area as that would negate the whole concept of closing the back.

Yes, closed back stuff definitely has more defined chunk and extended bass.

Anything that is bass oriented and vented/ported, is due to a special design. Such as special speaker design, dimension and port sizing.

Guitar cabs is NOT too much of a special science and are not designed for sonic purity. They are mostly built to set an amp head on. And the speaker will flavor the sound mostly and is designed with a poor enclosure in mind.

Your true and best bet, would be to snag a cheap 2x12 sealed cab and use it and not whack out you amp experimenting I guess..

Comment

The BBE will likely make the open back stuff flub out. You might get a little, but the bogus speaker design won't support the added bass.

Comment

Yeah, maybe another 2x12 cab or a BBE is the way to go. I'll look into it. Thanks, guys! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ March 20, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]

Comment

Yeah get both....you'll have more bottom than your bass player...a closed back 2 12" extension sounds like a good idea.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hey toejam: If you are going to go the way of a rack mount unit here is what I have found with my DSP2024 Behringer. This thing is a multi effects unit but it also has a exiter/enhancer and all that sonic maximizing stuff. One of the enhancing effects is called "Ultra bass" You can dial in the bass frequency and also the intensity of the sub bass frequency. I have it on of my settings and It will give you all the bass you could ever want. It's cool but you need to adjust it according to the volume you are playing at. There are settings that allow you to tighten the response as well. I have a long way to go with figuring this unit out but so far this is one feature that I find to be very cool! I think this unit is well under $200 US too.

[ March 22, 2003, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Dave ]
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Working...
                          X