matchless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matchless?

hey, anyone know anything about these amps? i saw billy duffy is using them on the cult dvd. his tone on their last disc is as nasty as a urinary tract infection.

any info is welcome....

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Re: matchless?

Matchless amps are a boutiquey outfit. They went out of business in the 90s, and now are back. I've heard different opinions on 'old vs new' models.

They are pretty pricey - the early ones were kinda a 'vox that doesn't blow up' type of amp. They are usually used by country and 'rock and roll' types - not so much hard rock and metal dudes. I heard clips of one from the 'ampfest' videos and I wasn't very impressed, but I doubt the guy from the Cult was just plugging directly into one either.

Pete

Comment

real nice smooth singing sustain, great full tone, kinda like a soldano SLO but voiced vintage....the black crowes used them for a while. if youve seen the crowes the glowing faceplate smaller sized heads matchless.

Comment

Yo Sully, I got an interview with Billy Duffy from when the last Cult album came out. He said that he used 4 main amps to get his tones on that tour, from what I remember....Roland Jazz Chorus for cleans, the Matchless for a gritty clean, his old Marshall for a lead tone, and a Mesa Dual Rectifier for the brutal tones. He said that he also used a Boss Super Overdrive and Digital Delay pedal, and some other stuff, but I can't remember.

Comment

okay, that makes a bit more sense that he had a mesa for the brutality. although his tone sounds more "marshall/vht hybrid" than mesa...

i'll watch the dvd again to see if he has any other amps turned on. it looks like all he was using was the matchless, and he sounded like satan's evil twin.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
          X