Sound from the built-in Jackson preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound from the built-in Jackson preamp

What is your opinion on the sound from the preamp in the active tone control Jackson guitars? (when you're using a good distorted sound).

I made a lot of tests last night using a passive Rhoads (Fernandes) and an active Rhoads (Jackson Pro) and the verdict is clear: the active one makes my distorted sound buzzy and a bit thin. I tried lowering the output from the guitar and other stuff but the buzziness is still there.

The passive Rhoads is not so distorted but the sound is much more BIG and BRUTAL with lots of buttom and kick.

I have tested with the same pups in the guitars of course.

The only thing i haven't done yet, is to bypass the active electronics in the Jackson to see if there's a difference in basis sound of the guitars. I will do that later.

(I use a JMP1 + 9200 power + 2 cabs 4x12 all Marshall).

What is your experinece?
    Do you use active Jacksons for your distorted/overdriven sounds?
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: Sound from the built-in Jackson preamp

I had a Soloist with the boost circuit in it, and yes it did have a bit of a buzz, but you have to realize that an on-board preamp is not meant to be used with a high-gain amp, but rather a stock Marshall or similar with moderate gain settings - think AC/DC. If you add a gain boost on top of say the sound from Master of Puppets or Rust In Piece, it's gonna get muddy quick.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I totally follow you in that it's unnecessary in a high gain amps setup. So with my setup in gear i probably should just bypass the active control system.

I checked the current line of Jackson guitars and it seems that this circuit is no longer offered. Is that true? Is it outdated and not wanted anymore?
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Well, that circuit can do some cool things with some amps. I prefer not to use them myself. But, others have good use of them.

You do have to remember, it a pretty archaic design compared to modern surface mount technology stuff. Pretty noisy and I'm sure that the freq response is pretty limited.

Comment

Working...
        X