• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inexpensive power amps - Thoughts?

Originally posted by rodrigo_echeverri:
    guys,

What do you think about this???

ADA
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not a bad power amp at all. I had one a few years ago. Its very loud and gets a decent tube-like tone, even though its S.S. It does have one or two 12ax7's to warm it up a bit though.

Comment

I've heard some of the ADA power amps have reliability problems, not sure of which models, but I do not believe it was the microtube.

A mosvalve is cheap and reliable...but it also "colors" the sound because it's suppose to emulate tube voicing. It would not be a true power amp in the sense of other solid state power amps like a Carvin.

The Carvin stereo tube power amp is a nice amp for the money; highly recommended. A Peavey Classic 60/60 uses 2-6L6 and a 12ax7/side, also a good stereo amp for the money, drawback is that it's three space. and controls are not accessible from the front.

Comment

I have an ADA b200s that I have had since the early 90's and it works great and sounds pretty good.

I recently switched it out for the Carvin Tube 100 which is filled with 4 el34's and it really makes my preamp (a carvin quad x) sing. I also have a carvin HT150 SS power amp that is a backup just in case I blow a tube at a gig with the Tube 100.

I will sell you my ADA power amp if you are looking for one...

The b200s is very solid and I dont think it will ever stop running. ADA had tons of problems with the microtube series power amps.

I ran the b200s with an mp-1 for years and it sounded very good with that setup.

The quad x is a killer preamp that is extremely versitile. It has 4 channels with 5 effects loops built in it as well as a noise gate and a reverb unit that will trail off from channel to channel instead of cutting off when you switch between channels.

I am seriously considering selling my Dual Rectifier 3 channel head because I like the set-up so much.

My brother runs a Peavey classic 50/50 with his Quad x and it sound very good and he loves it. Great bang for buck factor with those. They would be a great backup power amp to any rig as well in my opinion.

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Chris

[ March 29, 2003, 04:33 AM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

Oops I did it again!....

I just bought me a nice cheap amp... a Mesa 50/50.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

See you,

Rodrigo

Comment

Congrats! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Firebird V, I agree, the Carvin Quad X is a killer pre-amp!
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Working...
              X