X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp hums on standby, but not when it's on

Hey fellas,
    long time no type.

I have an older head that hums in standby mode but goes perfectly quiet when standby is off (i.e. the amp is in play mode). The humming is not loud, and starts about 4-5 seconds after engaging standby mode. The humming disappears immediately after switching it on. The hum comes through the cabinet speakers.
    Any ideas what's causing it?

Re: Amp hums on standby, but not when it\'s on

Is there a "POP" when you take it off standby?

Comment

Welcome back Jerry!

Comment

John,
        no pop

Willie,
        thanks. didn't think anyone actually remembered me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

how old are the tubes?

Nek

Comment

I have no idea how old the tubes are.
            I doubt its a tube problem, because as I mentioned when the amp is on it is flawless. no hum, hiss, pops, crackles etc.

(FWIW it's not the preamp tubes cause i tried replacing them with a new set while trying to identify the source of a noise problem on one of the channels (turned out to be the tube in V1).).

Comment

No prob dude, good to see you back. How's that suite Explorer?

Comment

Boxcar,
                ahhh
                bout 3 weeks ago my maid (i know) grabbed my three-guitar stand to vacuum around it and that guitar took a tumble. neck broke at the nut, pretty nasty ****. im hoping that because its got a scarf joint that will help matters but i'm not making any illusions. im so broke right now that i cant even conteplate repairing it for the time being. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

[ March 26, 2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Jerry From Ghana ]

Comment

Hey Gus/Jerry!

I wouldn't worry about it if the hum goes away when you put the amp in 'play' mode. How bad a hum is it?

And how is the Fab Amp?

Pete

Comment

Sorry to hear about the Explorer, Jerry...hope you get it back in action soon!

Comment

I hope you gave your maid a good spankin'! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hi Jerry
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Pete-
                        you can only hear it next to the cab. across the room you can barely hear it. its just interesting that as soon as standby is turned off, the hum disappears. it seems like it's not as uncommon as i thought

I'm happy to report that the Fab is still in one piece and it has not killed me yet! Since I came back from Cuba in December I kinda stopped hanging out on guitar forums.. what has happened with Fab Amp Dude since that debacle? It appears he's been rather normal.

Comment

don't go to HC... he and I have 'had words' again. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] One guy got into it with Rob, and then apologized... Rob kept flaming the guy over and over... it was interesting.

Glad to hear everything's still Fab there!

Pete

Comment

Working...
                          X