X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA MP-1 again! Love or hate?

Hey!

Me again!

Looks like i'm going to get a chance to try it out afterall.
    Ilike the current prize which is pretty acceptable for my ''student budget'' so if i like it i dont see any problems taking it.

But what i dont know is what do you think of it.
    Not that i'm the kind of person to go by other's opinions but still.
    Those who yet tried it or heard it play, pro's and con's i want to know everything about it.

I thank all of you who answered my questions earlier in this forum and am asking you to do it again.

My rig will (soon) look like these:
    gibson ES 335 into ada mp-1 into mesa 50/50 an then into my marshall stereo cab(2x25W Greenbacks & 2x70W Vintage celestion speakers)

I heard that as all all-tube preamp ADA is not very silent especially in hi-gain mode which is offcourse simple to understand.
    So is that those who pay for the ticket to go and see a rock show, do not want to hear any beeps anf noise.
    So what is to do?
    Any Suggestions?
    I've heard that rocktron's hush unit is baest money can buy, does that thing comes with a tuner?
    Does any?

Thank guys!

Take your time but do write

Re: ADA MP-1 again! Love or hate?

I love my MP-1. It can benefit greatly from an external EQ unit, but that's really up to the individual. The built-in 3-band EQ with Presence control gets a very good sound on its own, but I prefer total EQ domination [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've had my MP-1 since new.
      I love it.
      You can get them dirt cheap now.
      That'll make you love em more.

Comment

o, o,
        And what kind of music do you play with it?
        Bands like....
        Artist like....

And which other sound is to be compared
        Quality and characteristics?

Comment

I have done all the homework on pre-amps over the last month. I definitely think the mp-1 deserves its reputation. The overdrives are great!.

However thats my opinion since I am not into death metal or any of that... if that was the case, then I would not really be into the mp-1 so much.

Definitely, to get the 80's sound you can rely on the mp-1 and even if you hate its guts you wont loose much. Buy one and have fun!

Comment

I have to say it's love here. Maybe not true love, but definitely love. I can get a great heavy tone from the MP-1, but I had to work with it a bit. The preset patches do not show what this unit can do. The only drawback to the MP-1 is that I found myself acquiring additional rack pieces (EQ, BBE, Hush) to compliment it and at the end of the day not as cheap as I first thought (although still a bargain). It does get very good (and useable) tone on its own, but for great tone it needs a little help. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

you may want to check out: ADA Depot

Comment

I have an MP-1 in my rack and a back-up as well. HUGE amounts of different sounds available, but you need to work at it to get "your" sound. I am totally into 80's metal, so it works PERFECT for me.

Comment

The other guitarist in my last band had an MP1 in his rack and I spent a lot of time trying to dial some good sounds into it. Total POS in my book.

Comment

EQ, BBE, Hush...

Which one do you recomand?
                  Can i get a Hush unit with a tuner together?

Is EQ midi programmable?

10x guys

Comment

Digital effects processors like the quadraverb have a programable eq if you're planning on adding effects, altho the chorus in the MP-1 isn't bad at all.

Most of the digital eq (if not all) units are programable, Roland has the SRQ4015, I think Behringer has one as well which are parametric. Alesis has a stereo 1/3 octive (dual 31 band) also programable with presets. I'm sure there are more, it's not a big market for these, usually hi-fi or sound reinforcement/recording applications...but I've considered this for my rack stuff since the prices are coming down.

I give an MP-1 a thumbs up, you have to work it in order to get some useable sounds, but it's a decent piece for a 100.00-130.00 range.
                    Again for the money.. if you're going to start adding all the external stuff, you should consider paying a 150.00 more for a used Rocktron Voodu that already has the effects, I haven't tried the Voodu, but if Cleveland recommends it, I'd be willing to say his tone tastes are pretty discerning from what I've read..so it should be good. He's got me sold on buying one in the future.

[ March 29, 2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Voodu valve = 350 bucks used. great investment though. Everything is in there. Thats the conclusion in my thread:
                      Cheap dream rack

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                        The other guitarist in my last band had an MP1 in his rack and I spent a lot of time trying to dial some good sounds into it. Total POS in my book.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There are mods on the internet for the MP-1, you can get alot out of this preamp for very little money. Pick one up for 100-115.00 bucks and put in another 25.00-30.00, it's well worth the time. There are two models of the MP-1, the older original and the "classic" which had some variations resolving customer issues from the original in the EQ, loop, gain, etc.
                        Problems existed in the non classic model with the effects loop, again, there are mods to correct the signal/tone difference in the loop.

Comment

Chuck - by the same token, my ex-singer/guitarist and I have the same amp - Fender RocPro1000 head - and we get two totally different tones (his is ultra bassy, mine is more middy/high-endy, even when we set our EQ and Gain knobs the same.
                          Maybe you just weren't playing through it correctly [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Switching from a great marshall to an ada racksetup in the late 80's was the worst move I have ever made! The stuff is ok at low volumes and practicing lead work but for rhythm and live thething packs no wallop at all..I eq'd mine heavily with a 11 band but as soon as I found a taker...the rack was gone....and I got into mesa stuff and stomp boxes and was never more content..My rig has been unchainged since 94...

Comment

That has been a complaint of the MP-1.. processed, it doesn't move any air. It does sound smoothed over.. I haven't tried any of the mods, but I'll give em a go before I write it off further. (which is also why they only go for a 100-150.00 nowadays)

Comment

Working...
                              X