Peavy players: 5150 vs 5150 II vs all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavy players: 5150 vs 5150 II vs all

Hi all. I'm looking for advice on a new amp purchase. What are the plusses and minuses of the 5150 amps? Will these amps be versatile enough to play more than European metal (as in anything from Malmsteen to Satch to Nile and anything in between)? Is this too much to ask? Also, any recommendations to other amps in this price range would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Peavy players: 5150 vs 5150 II vs all

As a Peavey 5150 Head and Cab owner, I can tell you that its one of the best heads for metal that you can buy (for the cash). You can score a 5150 head super cheap. I bought my 5150 head and matching cab for $600.00. I retubed it with JJ power tubes and EH preamp and its a ****ing monster. Using a Jackson Dinky (loaded with 2 EMG 81's/Tuned 1 full step)the amp sounded like a monster just pluging straight thru. If your going with versatale, I'd recommend a Boss GE-7. I suggest running this thru ur fx loop. U want to talk about versitale, Metal Wise: you can dial in the tone ur looking for with that eq pedal.

From Early - Modern Thrash [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] (Teastament/ Slayer - Dew Scented/The Crown)

to Gore Death Metal [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] (Exhumed/Dekapitator)

to NWSDM [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] (early In Flames/early soilwork),

and some numetal bands use 5150s as well (Machine Head - Burn my eyes era, Union Underground etc.

In terms of sach and YJM, You won't pull it off on a 5150 head just plugged straight thru (Rack would be your BEST bet on that one). But If your looking for a brutal metal tone with tubes to boot and your short on the pocket, you can't go wrong with a 5150.

I think thats it.

Wow. I typed alot

[ March 29, 2003, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Ruxspin ]

Comment

does the headbangin smilie get any more symmetrical? jesus. diaganal madness!!

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

The 5150 is badass. But don't expect any sort of Lead Player's dream come true solo-tone. It'll take some other gear for that. Like rux said.

Comment

Thanks guys! Anyone else have any input? What rack equipment would you suggest as a good match? G-Major? Anything else?

Comment

the 5150 thru a VHT cab i think it was, from the ampvideos website, sounds ****ing killer man, the lead is unbelievable, better than the engls, and the rhythm...well...can you say 'crunch' [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

For more input on 5150 rack stuff, You best bet is to go talk to OklaStrat or Cleveland Metal. Theres a couple of other 5150 owners here at JCF. But those two guys would probably help yah out the most

~Im out!

BTW: Alexi7! Ampvideos wbsite? Can you drop a link here so we can check it out. Thanks in advance!

[ March 30, 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Ruxspin ]

Comment

Amp videos link

There you go bro.
              Cheers

Comment

Hello I use a 5150 212 combo with grade 5 groove tubes and it is a bad ass amp. Being a closed backed cab it has awesome punch very thick tone and versital you bet.The only draw back to 5150 212 combo is th fx loop,its kind of weak the more post you add the more fx you get.( if that makes any sense).
                I run the BBE thru the fx loop and run the digital delay,flanger,option 5 overdrive out of the BBE.The over drive only get used at low vol you don't need it when your cranked past 2 on volume. The 5150 head has a great fx loop and thru a marshall 4x12 cab what more could you want?
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I wish they made a 5150 recording preamp, kinda like mesa has their "recording recto"

Comment

Working...
                  X