boss eq and metalzone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boss eq and metalzone

Some people have told me if you get a boss eq pedal and a boss metalzone that you can get some really good heavy tone out of mesa boogies. Ive got a single rectifier 50 watt head and a genz benz 2x12 cab. Would these two pedals give me a heavier more in your face tone and crunch? Sometimes my distortion is a little muddy and I think yall know what im talking about. Id like to kick it up a notch.

Re: boss eq and metalzone

There is a good sound or two in the MT-2 and GE-7 combo, however, I'm a little surprised you'd need one in a recto amp. I used that combo for a long time w/ a Marshall JCM2000 head and it's not as "buzzy" or "can of bees" like everyone leads them on to be IMO. I quit using that combo however when I got a Trem-O-Verb head. It has gain in spades to play with. It does get muddy real quick if you let the controls get away from you though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I can't imagine using a Metal Zone in front of a Single Recto unless you are just using the clean channel, and then why use a Mesa?

Try "un-diming" your controls, namely the bass, and dialing in some mids, and turn the gain down.

If you need more bottom, try a GE7 in the loop for that cheesy processed sound. Or better yet, get a 4x12.

Comment

I was just asking. My friend was an a** the other day and turned all my controls to 0. i was about to kill him. So now im trying to get a good sound back out of it. I just heard an eq helps out rectifiers a lot. I heard they shape them up a little bit. I like my 2x12 by the way. Genz Benz makes good stuff. Im saving for a mesa 4x12 but they are like $500-600. But I love the head but just want a little more meat out of it. A little more insane gain. But I might mess with the controls again. Im a pretty high gain guy though.
        Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Dude if you are interested I am selling a boss ge7 EQ.E mail [email protected]

Comment

An EQ in front of a muddy amp can help un-muddy it by itself somewhat. Reduce the lows in front, and it will help. I also increase mids a good bit and do a little tiny high-boost, but lowering the bass frequencies in front of the amp can help ya.

Comment

I've used a Metal Zone/GE-7 combination in front of a JCM-800 2210 for years. I love the sound, but the GE-7 is a bit hissy.
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

How hissy? Is there anyway to stop the hiss? Do you think the metalzone and boss eq would be awesome through a mesa single recitfier? Someone on here is selling a boss eq and it might be pretty cheap so i might pick that up to start with.

Comment

i know i got a ge7 for my blue voodoo and it made it sound alot better. that said, a blue voodoo isnt a very nice amp

Comment

A Metalzone and a GE7 in the front end of a Single Recto.
                    [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
                    I give up.

Comment

He he he [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i feel the same way, chuck. Totally gape [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] but you gotta respect personal taste [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

How about a Triple Rec, on the RED GAIN Channel, with an Ibanez Tube Screamer up front pushing it even more? You'd be surprised how brutal that sounds if you keep it cleanly eq'd and add a nice NS-2 into the mix.

Don't listen to these old farts (Just messing with ya guys, we all know I'm an old geezer as well! hehehehe) Jackson16, I say do what sounds good to YOUR ears! hahahaha You might wanna try the above setup.

Guitar -> TS-10 Tube Screamer -> Mesa w/GE-7 and NS-2 in Effects loop.

However, I THINK I've already taken the GE-7 and NS-2 from Parntz.. Sorry. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

[ April 01, 2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Troy from VENTT ]

Comment

Well i use my Dual Rectifier in Red channel with a Digitech preamp/effect unit in front of it.
                          A Recto alone doesn't cut it for what i do [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Flo
                          http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Same here. Recto's have a GREAT gain structure, but for the more brutal tones, you need a bit of an extra push and the Ibanez TS-10 does it for me perfectly.

Comment

Thanks folks who agree with me on the recto needing a little something else. A lot of people have rectifiers and I want mine to sound the most over the top of them all. And those who think its stupid trying to make a rectifier heavier, you didnt have to respond to this thread. I want some more ummpppffff out of it. I cant mess with the controls all day but thats not going to change everything. I want something harsher and more brutal. Something really death metalish. I love dimebag's tone but not that processed sounding.

Comment

Working...
                              X