boss eq and metalzone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: boss eq and metalzone

If you want "harsher" you might wanna give a try...

BBE Sonic Maximizer units
    Enhancer/Exciter units, I have the Behringer Ultrafex Pro for this
    EQing in the loop

Comment

Hey Guys,

I'm using a 5150 with a Boss MetalZone, DS-1, and a compresser.. and I'm trying to get a heavier more in your face crunch. Also, my distortion is a little buzzy.. and I'm trying to clean this up. WHAT THE FUDGE AM I DOING WRONG?!?! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh yeah.. every knob is maxed at 10.. I hope this helps.

Comment

Sheesh...crap if I know...sounds like you're doing it perfectly! That should sound absolutely KILLER, dude! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I hope you know I was kidding, dude.

That would make a 5150 sound like cats with leoparcy having a threesome on a Harley Davidson engulfed with flames being completely destroyed by a screaming goth kid with a machete. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Word, in your situation the problem is obvious. You only have your controls on 10, you need to go to 11 [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Rudy
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

dont turn this into and espmessageboard thing. All i asked for was a way to make the tone from my mesa boogie a little heavier and more to my liking. any more ideas would be appreciated.

Comment

You got some great advice from Troy already and that's something he actually does. However, I think the main point everyone is making is involving the Metal Zone. If you're going to go with that type of distortion, you could do it with just about any amp, so why not get a cheap one? The Metal Zone was designed to make any amp be a "metal amp" so to speak, but every amp you run it through will sound like a Metal Zone. Not a bad sound if you do it right, but IMO you're wasting the tastiness of a good Boogie by doing that. I think you'd be sacrificing tone for distortion, but if that's what sounds good to you, then do it. Just don't get mad when people who've been searching and getting killer tone for years tell you that what you are embarking may not sound good. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I wasnt mad at them for that. They make it sound like Im just another dumb kid or something. I just heard somewhere that this was a decent sounding combination and just asked opinions. I didnt mean to sound like an a** or anything. Im just searching for something more insane out of my boogie. It gets kind of muddy sometimes and other days it sounds freaking amazing. I dont get it. And I just hear from someone a good eq helps mesas out really well. sorry if i ticked anyone off but I just wanted to know.

Comment

All I can say is get a good EQ.. but for God's sake don't put a Metal Zone with a Mesa.. if you thought your amp was muddy before, then you're in for a huge suprise then! With buzz too! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Do what Troy said and get a Tube Screamer overdrive. Or do what I sometimes do and use a DOD Juice Box overdrive (DOD's version of a Tube Screamer, even has a green casing... awesome sound, now discontinued but can be found on ebay for cheap. I acutally have two since I love them so much!!). They're made to be used with an already distorted amp without coloring the tone too much. It has level, overdrive, treble and bass controls, seems like a little midrange is already built in. It will take your amp over the top!
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sorry Word if I got snippy with ya. Just been a rough day. Spent all day chopping down trees. I just heard that that was a decent combination. Ahh there is so much to try. Thats why i bought a tube amp cuz there is so much you can do with it.
                          just start with a decent tube amp and build on it and you can get great tone. Ill head up to the guitar shop and ask them about all this stuff and see if they got any of it in stock or any insight on it. thanks guys and sorry again if i seemed angry or something

Comment

I use a Metal Zone with a PQ4 parametric EQ pedal. (just to be different) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                            I love the tone and the PQ4 just tweeks the harshness out of the MT2 and makes the distortion smoother and more in your face. Although I do run it into a Rockman XP100 and not a Mesa. But I can get it to sound like a Mesa if i wanted to.
                            Gil

Comment

As Toejam said, the Metalzone is made to be a stand alone distortion unit so you would have to use the Mesa on the clean channel for it to get decent tones. If you still want to use the Mesa Gain Structure (Why wouldn't you?!?), you need to use something specifically geared towards pushing an already distorted signal which is transperent otherwise like the TS-1o does.

Just keep in mind that with added umph comes added noise. You'll need a noise gate of some sort line a Boss NS-2.

As for all the joke-crackers, just ignore there comments. you get that everywhere. No sense acknowledging there (Lack of) input. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow, I'm a joke cracker with no input!
                                Thanks, noob!

Comment

Working...
                                X