Marshall Amp Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Amp Mod

Hello everyone. I am looking on feedback on where to get a good Marshall mod done. I have heard some good things about the guys at Voodoo. I am looking for suggestions and reviews if any on good techs out there. I have a couple of Lee Jackson amps that I love and want to get a Marshall modded with a different tone something kind of JOSE sounding maybe. Any feedback would be great.

Re: Marshall Amp Mod

paging Oklastrat! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I dont know much about mods, but I hear Trace with vodoo is the best. I've contacted him a few times about ideas and stuff but i never went through with the mods.

He simply asks you to email him a list of 5 songs you want your amp to sound like and he does his work off that (thats the basic version ofcourse)

Comment

If you want something Jose sounding, then definitely talk to Mark Cameron.
        He supposedly is an expert on Jose's mods and knows them better than anyone else.....
        -Chris

Comment

Tim, What do you have for a Marshall? I'm runing a non master volume Plexi through a hotplate and it sounds awesome. I never thought I'd be able to get this kind of gain & tone out of a non master volume but I was wrong.

John

Comment

I don't have a Marshall yet. I was thinking about picking up an old plexi or a JCM 800. How is the Hot Plate? I have heard that using one is really hard on your amp.

Comment

Trace uses Marshall powerbrakes at his shop all the time with absolutely no problems.

I have a Trace modded JCM800 50 watter that is outstanding! I highly recommend him.

Comment

Trace does great work. I have a Trace modded JCM2000 DSL100 if you're interested. He seemed to be able to make that amp do things I didn't think it could do [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . Sounds much better than in its' stock form.

[email protected] if interested.

Comment

Tim, if you want a hotrodded marshall, have trace at voodoo do it. heheh, voodoo do it, sounds like a song or something.

Seriously - Trace has great customer service, and does great work. If you don't already have an amp, I'd say call him up, talk what tones you want, and then look for whatever amp he recommends. His mods can be pricey ($400ish I think, depending on what you want) but he's a great tech and a really nice guy who will make sure you're happy.

The only bad thing about a hot plate device is that you will wear your tubes faster, since they are working as hard as they would be without the hot plate device - it just soaks up some of the power that doesn't make it to your speaker.

I own a witchdoctor trace modded from a fender champ, and it sounds great.

Pete

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Comment

I'd recommend Trace as well. I have 2 Voodoo modded amps (TSL100/Rivera KH2), along with a Hex 50 (old Dukane PA reworked), and a Witchdoctor 2 channel proto on its way. Traces amps and work is outstanding. They sound thick, yet clear. Recording them is quite easy along with cutting through in live situations. As Pete said, the mods can get pricey, but you still get a lot of great tones for the $, that can compete with a lot of high end boutique amps. The best thing is you have "YOUR" ideal tone. I gave Trace a list of tunes for my TSL, and I can get so close its scary. On the Rivera, I really just got a few of the things tweeked, but it sound like a monster. If you dont have the amp already, you may want to see what Trace has lying around. He may have a few Hex's sitting around, that may not be in Marshalls, but its the same thing. In case you are interested, I am considering letting go of my Hex 50 and just picking up a Hex preamp since my WD is going to have a power amp in.

Comment

Working...
                      X