Why do you guys bash CRATE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do you guys bash CRATE?

Ever since i played Bogner ,Soldano and my fav VHT i will never go out and play / buy another brand of cheaper amps as long as i live. My VHT UL is all ill ever need but if i ever do get another amp ill get a bogner not a crate [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes ...that's right...what he said [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have mixed emotions about Crate. I have had a few good amps from them and a couple stinkers.

Matt

Comment

I have a BV120 all tube that I paid $300 for almost new. It sounds good, I like it a lot. Now if the freakkin' thing didn't weigh 53 lbs, I'd be a little happier about it.

Comment

try a jcm 900 marshall...i can get them for $499.00 and they can kill so many amps... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm a CRATE guy and happy with that. It's mostly because I can't afford anything better and havn't really played through anything yet that has caused me save my pennies up. My first real working band had a Peavey PA system and several channels on the board. Everything was mic'd. All I had to start with was a Westone guitar and a CRATE G40C stereo chorus amp. I threw a mic infront and went to town. I was asked about my gear a few times by guitarists in the crowd after a show. They were kind of shocked that it was a CRATE making all that sound. I even used the onboard distortion and no pedals. I have a GX212 right now. My biggest complaint is that you can't get the most out of it in combo form and flat out require a 4X12 cab. It sounds great through a cab and can be loud and handle it. CRATE cabs SUCK period! The rattle loose and hum and buzz. A friend of mine took the head out of his GX212 and built a chasis for it and put it on top of a Marshall 4X12 and his rig sounds great. I love the sound as is, but the cabinet construction is poor in my opinion. Thats my .02 cents. You never know, I could end up with a Marshall JCM800 half stack or something and post here about how much better it is than all the CRATE crap I've been playing through. It's funny how that happens sometimes.

Comment

I am now playing my Crate Blue Voodoo through a Mesa Boogie 4x12, and it sounds great!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                  I am now playing my Crate Blue Voodoo through a Mesa Boogie 4x12, and it sounds great!!
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, because of the Mesa... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

mostly because a lot of us are older, and grew up with those amps and they have been synonymous with crap over the years. Much like hondo, or aria pro II are crap for guitars.

peavey got a bad rap as well, but they seem to be taking great strides in producing a quality product.

dave

Comment

Peavey and Crate are the same type of company. Carvin is like this to an extent. They don't have the best stuff, but what they do have will get the job done until you can get something better. Of course, some of their stuff is good enough to be an amp of choice and not an amp of convenience.

Comment

I actually had a Red Voodoo head. I played the blue one in the store about a thousand times, and I thought it sounded great! It was a different sound than Marshall which everyone around here has, so I wanted it and ordered the Red one.

Took it home and it sucked! I don't know if it was aproblem with it or what, but it sounded nothing like in the store , not even close, plus it made a terrible pop when switching channels with anything in the FX loop.

ALso on the ones in the store , the clean channel was WAY TOO BRITE. I ended up getting a DSL50 and had it modded , I only had to pay 100.00 more for it as my friend gave me a deal, and after I hade it modded it didn't sound like everyone else around here with a MArshall.
                        Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

You won't hear any Crate bashing from me, yet. I'm still stuck with a **** cheap ass Squier combo that plays so many brown notes you'll [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] . If I could get a Crate right now, I wouldn't hesitate. But once I buy a real amp, Crate be damned [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ April 04, 2003, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Ninja Guitar ]

Comment

Every Crate I've played sounded great till you got it in a band, then you found out the volume doesn't increase when you go above 6.

Newc
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I play the Red Voodoo thingee. Sounds good to me. I'd like to get something fancy, but the $ makes it hard. I got a Mesa cabinet yesterday, and that helps for a metal tone. But I play doom too, and it isn't really the right cab for that at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X