New 4x12 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 4x12 Question

I am right about(like in 20 minutes) to go buy a used 4x12 from a music store that I know of. The store rocks, and I know they'll give me a killer price. My question is this: Do I HAVE to lug my head in there to try the 4x12's out? The thing weighs a TON. I plan on bringing my two main guitars anyways.

Re: New 4x12 Question

well, shouldnt you?... I would

[ April 03, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

If you are prepared to lug a 4x12 home..... you should be ok with taking a head to the store.

I highly recommend you try the cab with your amp.

Comment

WELL????????????we're waiting [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

OK, I brought the head, all 53 lbs of it. And my dad was thouroughly pissed when he saw just exactly what it was I was buying.(I lost my license). But here it is: I got a used Mesa Boogie 4x12 loaded with 2 90W Celestions and 2 200W EV's. I play through a Crate Red Rocker head, but when I plugged it into that cabinet, it sounded EXACTLY like a Boogie. So, there it is. My new setup!! Rockin'!! GTG, I just got some new gear, so naturally I have to play it for 30 straight hours!!

Comment

Oh, by the way, they had a Sundown 4x12 there for just $130. The guys at the store and I had never heard of it, nor did we have any idea what speakers were in it. I plugged it in, and it sounded really muddy, but in a warm way. I have read that they were made between 1982 and 1987 by Denis Kager on Harmony Central, but all they have are reviews for the amps, not the cabs. Does anyone know anything else about these things? Is that a good price?

Comment

Cool! I'm jealouse. I just got a mesa 20/20 the other day and now I'm thinkin' about a cabinet. tryin' to decide between a stereo wired 4x12 or 2 2x12s for easier hauling.
              Play till your calouses tear off, it builds character. It always pays off to test what your after with your gear. Eliminates some of the surprises.......KEEP ON ROCKIN' [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

congrats man, I am going nuts to own a cab like that...

Comment

Never seen one of those...I can't imagine that material does anything good for the sound of the cab. Interesting.
                  This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

I can't find a picture of one anywhere, but it pretty much has one of those huge flight cases built around it. They sound really good, really solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                      Well Outlander, I can tell you this: when dealing with Mesa cabinets, weight IS a serious consideration. My friend has a road-ready cab just like mine, and that thing weighs like 200 lbs. Road-ready my a$$. Maybe if your James Hetfield and have a team of people who's name you don't know moving all your stuff around. Those of us who load in/out ourselves can usually do without.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">nah the whole point in thewm being road reay is that they are built like a tank to survive on hte road, naturally this means they are pretty heavy compared to not-quite-as-reinforced ones

David

Comment

Well Outlander, I can tell you this: when dealing with Mesa cabinets, weight IS a serious consideration. My friend has a road-ready cab just like mine, and that thing weighs like 200 lbs. Road-ready my a$$. Maybe if your James Hetfield and have a team of people who's name you don't know moving all your stuff around. Those of us who load in/out ourselves can usually do without.

Comment

Mesa cabs don't all weigh 200 lbs. Ace, yours weighs so much because of the EV speakers. I have one in my Mark III combo, and lifting that thing is like picking up a boulder.
                          This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Mine doesn't weigh 200 lbs. The road-ready version does. That is the one that is made of some sort of polycarbonate reinforced with steel, with a plate that covers the speakers when they are not in use. Mine weighs about 100 lbs. But yes, those EV's are quite hefty. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X