Behringer Ultrafex = OOOOOMPH!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behringer Ultrafex = OOOOOMPH!!

I always stayed away from exciters because i believed good metal sound could be made without. Then the other day (for fun) i borrowed a Behringer Ultrafex II EX 3100 to fiddle around with and !#"#&¤"¤&" HEUREKA DUDES! What a tight MO FO crunchy punchy sweet METAL SOUNDWALL i got in no time! OMPH-OMPH!! Sweetness.

My signal chain consists of a Marshall JMP-1 with JFX-1 in effect loop, Ultrafex, Marshall 9100 run in stereo with 2 x 1960 cabs. My success with the Ultrafex in this setup could perhaps be explained by the fairly thin low end this Marshall JMP-1 + 9100 has.

My sound philosophy has always been to minimize distortion (=buzz) but maintaining crunchy metal sound. That's a hard quest (for me anyways) but this Ultrafex allows me to run the overdrive/dist lower on the JMP-1 thereby getting a more percussive, IN-YOUR-FACE sound. This can also pave the way for using a not-so-high-gain pickup which to my ears, have a better basic sound. All this while maintaining a sweet heavy metal sound.

I like it so far [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: Behringer Ultrafex = OOOOOMPH!!

Congrats! I've been using an Ultrafex Pro for a couple years or so now myself. Does an awesome job to immediately "thrash up" the sound...especially with my added BBE and other goodies... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, what would be a fair price for this unit?
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I bought my Ultrafex Pro new and have no idea how much they go for used...and Behringer has done some price lowering since I bought it, so I don't even know what the new price is anymore. I would guess they are well under $100 used.

Give a check on Musician's Friend for new prices, and Ebay for used prices.

Comment

Does an awesome job to immediately "thrash up" the sound...especially with my added BBE and other goodies...
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Didn't you mean trash up? Doh!!!! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

I would say around $70-80.

At least that's cheap for getting your sound trashed up, CM [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
            Henrik

Comment

Just kidding!!! Well, not really... But, ya know...

Some of the coolest things can be cheap...

Comment

Thrash...trash...is there a difference? [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Hehehe...hey, you! How did you know I like to have my ears repetedly plunged with tree branches?

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Stu, do you run an Ultrafex Pro AND a BBE Sonic Maximizer simultaneously? If you do, you're ...eh special [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                  Henrik

Comment

Hahaha.. Yeah, that is pretty special, huh???

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmmm...is that special as in politically-correct "retarted person" special? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

More like "insane-knob-wh0re" special kinda special [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[ April 05, 2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: jackson1 ]
                        Henrik

Comment

Jeez you guys are good! Where do you find tree branches that feel soooooooo good being jammed in my ears? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X