Marshall hype - Am I disillusioned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall hype - Am I disillusioned?

The MT-2 Metal Zone pretty much can make any amp sound excellent (if that is the tone you are looking for). I have always been a huge fan of Mesa, especially the Dual Rectifier but for the last several years I have been really digging the Marshall tone. Old JCM800's are outstanding. If stock they lack the gain and bottom end of the Mesa but they make up for it in the midrange tone. They also react very well to pedals. My suggestion would be to check out the Peavey 5150 head, the Carvin Legacy, Carvin MTS3200 or the X100B, Sovtek Mig100H and any all tube Laney's and Randalls. The Randall is a great blend of Marshall and Mesa. I am not a fan of any of the newer Marshall stuff but the old 80's JCM800's are pretty sweet and inexpensive too. I use a full rack mt rig consisting of a Peavey 60/60 all tube power amp, a Carvin Quad X preamp and footpedal and a Behringer effects processor all pumping through Randall bottoms loaded with Altec Lansing speakers. I have 4 completely programmable channels of all tube Nirvana. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Late last year I picked up a 800 2x12 (2ch w/rev)and it's almost everything I want in an amp - sans a really nice clean (but that's not what you buy an 800 for anyway). I wouldn't (and don't) run it without my GE-7 as it really seems to make the amp complete to me anyway. I also run that through a Mesa Recto 2x12 cab w/ 30s in it and really complements the G12s in the Marshall.
      I will say that the best amp I have heard in a while was a new Vetta head. I watched as a guy put it through it's paces at GC a few months ago and I was blown away. It's all subjective anyway. Go with what you like.

Comment

Whats your opinion on the crate blue voodoo?
        When i coem back from being at sea for 3 months...I need to fidn a good amp, since I'll have the money.I guess the jcm 900 is kinda ruled out...so I'm looking at VHT/Soldano, and Mesa...any suggestions? I like to play stuff from classic hard rock, to Megadeth stuff, to molten metal..

Comment

4 names for you , VHT , Soldano , Bogner and Diezel , do not settle for anything other then those , any four of those will bring mesa , marshall , peavey , crate or any other name to its knees , i have a VHT Ultra Lead and i will never buy anything but those four names , sure it put me back 2700$ but its worth every penny.

[ April 07, 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: ColdVayne ]

Comment

The Vetta is incredible and also REALLY expensive although considering all the options is has I guess it is a pretty sweet deal. The only problem I see with it is road worthyness. Sure if you have careful roadies and road cases it would be fine, but I can't imagine it holding up to being carted around in the back of a van or truck in all kinds of weather and with all kinds of equipment piled around and on top of it (like how most of us gig). Marshalls do lack somewhat in the gain department but they more than make up for it in tone and presence. It is the ultimate tone for a live band setting. Especially when you can crank them up. I used to run my JCM800 dimed out with a power brake on it. Awesome sound as long as you don't mind changing tubes a little more than usual. They slave really well also. Especially Plexi's. My Carvin rig sounds alot like a modded JCM800. Go get one. If you don't like it you can always sell it and get your money back no problem. That is the best part about Marshall. The good ones really retain their value. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I also played out of a Jackson head once that completely rocked. Sounded like a hot-rodded Marshall. I eventually want to get either a Deisel, a Soldano SLO100 or one of those new Rhino 50w Black Stars. So many amps... so little cash!

Comment

Working...
              X