Peavey Triple XXX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Triple XXX

I'm thinking about getting the head with a 412 slant. I like the idea of having three separate channels on one amp, and with the effects loop right there on the pedal, it makes using a short list of effects pretty convenient. Anyway, I'm currently using a Special 212 to gig with. I have to use a noise reduction unit to keep it from squealing at high volumes, but other than that, it's a damn good amp. The tone on the "lead" channel sounds more like it should be used for rhythm, so that's what I use it for, and the tone on the "rhythm" channel seems better suited for lead, since it's louder and a bit cleaner, but that's probably just my preference.

Anyway, I see that the Triple XXX has pretty much the same settings (Ultra-lead, Crunch-rhythmn, and Clean). Pretty nice setup. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with it since I'm already happy with the Special 212, but I was hoping I'd get some opinions from some users. Any negatives about it? I believe the tubes are pretty universal, right? How does it sound at low volumes? High volumes? Etc...
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Re: Peavey Triple XXX

I would make sure you test drive it out first. I have played them and their sound is not very tight. There does not seem to be much bottom end to them. For the money you might want to check out a Mesa Boogie F-100 or F-50. I am not a Boogie fan but these are nice amps. They have more of a Marshall sound to them then a Rectifier. Personally I hate the Rectifier. But that's my opinion. Good Luck!

Comment

I've played them A LOT at both high volumes and low volumes and overall I really like it.

The Ultra channel sounds like it should be used for rhythm, heck I don't even like the Ultra channel all that much. I like the Crunch channel a lot more for leads and rhythms.

Sounds good at low volumes, and even better at high volumes. It squeals high volumes TERRIBLY. Keep the gain on 6 at super high volumes.

It's a great amp in my opinion, but just too expensive.

[ April 05, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Word ]

Comment

Please explore other avenues before you decide to buy this amp. I think that it's really really bad....for the money you could do a whole lot better.

Comment

What would you recommend? Mesa? Marshall? THD?
          My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Willie plays a Crate, don't listen to anything he says!!!!

Comment

In the 21 years i've been shredding on the geetar my Peavey Triple XXX is the ultimate metal amp. If you love 80's hotrodded Marshall tones then you will be in heaven with this baby.Whoever said this amp does'nt have any bottom end is smokin crack.I put my X thru 2 Genz Benz 4x12's and it has more bottom then my previous rig which consisted of 2 Marshall JCM 800 100 watt heads thru 4 Marshall 4x12's with vin 30's in them.When I bought my X I had $3000 to buy my Soldano SLO and i'm glad I tried out the X because it sounded BETTER then the SLO! Saved me $2200 to boot also.Its an amazing amp and a incredible value.I'm about to buy a second one. Don't crank the gain to high on these puppies....a little goes a long way.

[ April 06, 2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: ken ]

Comment

I have a Triple XXX modded by Voodoo Amps for sale, so if anyone is interested feel free to send email at: [email protected]

Price is $850 plus shipping.

Comment

Okay now lets not be rude. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just because I think the amp lacks in bottom end does not mean I smoke crack. You also have to consider what you are using with the head effect wise.

Comment

Why not Just go with a used 5150?
                    I got my 5150 off ebay for $500 shipped!!
                    They sound . All you need is an EQ is the FX loop and your in tone heaven. Check into them man!

Comment

EDIT: They sound great!

Comment

Personally, I love my triple xxx!! It gives me some of the greatest 80's metal sounds! (or is that my digitech gnx3 [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ) [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

DAN (RHOADSFAN_74)

Comment

Why don't you give a try to the Laney VH100?It has 4 channels too...

Comment

Whatever you decide on I'm sure will work for you. There are a lot of great amps in that price range. I agree that a used 5150 is another solution. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                            X