Line 6 POD through my JCM800?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 POD through my JCM800?

I have a Marshall JCM800 2210 (two channels, reverb, 100 watts). I love the sound with my Metal Zone/GE-7 combination. I also love the sound of the "Modern Hi Gain" setting on the POD and Flextone amps. It's a Soldano SLO-100 emulation.

So.... how do you think a POD would sound through my amp? Would it sound artificial or would it sound good through this real tube head?

Also, those of you who own the 2210 or 2205 already know that the clean sound SUCKS on these. I'm thinking that a POD might give me a decent clean for once.

Any ideas?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: Line 6 POD through my JCM800?

I own a POD and I've run it through almost every amplification scenario. Frankly, it just does not do live that well. It sounds ok, but it always sounds somewhat "simulated" to me. If you have it on the amp setting and remove all speaker emulation it sounds better, but still a little off to my ears (not that my ears are THAT good).

On the flip side, I love it for direct recording. But live, something is missing.

Comment

You'd be better off getting Line6's distortion modeling pedal to go into the front end of your Marshall than you would getting a POD, in my opinion. I've heard the Line6 distortion being played into a regular amp and it rocked.

I think the POD into a regular guitar amp will sound tinny and uninspiring.

Comment

The POD's not really built for live work. And to use it in that setting, you'd be better off using it as a pseudo "rack" preamp feeding into a hi-fidelity power amp and then into a stereo speaker cabinet. I doubt that the POD would give you a very good sound going into your Marshall, either through the front end or in the FX loop.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. I should have been a little more clear in my first post. I'm not in a band and I don't play out. I mainly want that Modern Hi Gain sound at bedroom levels, but I want to keep the Marshall in case I ever DO join a band or play out. I'm thinking that this will give me the best of both worlds.

I've always heard that the Line 6 gear isn't good live, and I believe it. This is only for "personal" use.

Another question: do you think I can retain that tube "feel" with this setup?

Thanks.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

i had a long post in my head of what i was ginong to write about L6's live performance, but read you second post so i will not!

L6 for bedroom level is the best! For recording also.
            If you are just plying pod is a good choince, recording i would recommend POD Pro!

As far as the tube feeling is concerned, runing the L6 into JCM, even without any speaker simulation, FORGET IT!

Line 6 is a great digi preamp, therefore don't think it can give you tube groovy punchin feelin, 'cause it does not.
            Like someone earlier posted, it kindof melts the sound, and louse the rougness.

As far as dist-pedal is concerned i have no expirience.

I used the modern hi-gain amp simulator but through a good poweramp. It's just not what i've hoped for. (rockin live performance)
            Since you are not looking for that, i would say go for it.

It's the best (and cheaper option than getting a real soldano, right) solution.

Rock

Comment

Working...
            X