Rack power conditioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack power conditioner?

I am gonna need something soon to power some rack pieces and a head...I was thinking a Furman power conditioner would do the trick. But I don't know much about these-which one is good, and for not much money?

Re: Rack power conditioner?

yeah, I was thinking about that myself and was just going to post about it. The Furman PL8 units seem to go for around 50-60 bucks on e-bay. I checked them out at GC and seem to be pretty simple and reliable pieces of equipment.

I guess my only question is, do you really need one?...

[ April 10, 2003, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Its always good to have one, and a pretty good one at that. You don't want your equipment getting screwed if there happens to be a power problem [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

What's that saying? Better safe than sorry. I don't know about you guys but if a severe power surge raced through my little 6 space rack it would take forever to replace what it took a long time to aquire and probably 3 to $4000.00.
        I use a furman PL plus it has the switchable and dimmable pull out light tubes, segmented led power readout to insure the circuit you're plugged into has the right power output not too hot and not too low. This feature has actually come in handy several times on some gigs where we had to find a good cicuit to run off of. There are 8 grounded switched outlets in the back spaced far enough for most wallwarts, RFI & some noise suppresion and of course surge and spike protection. Front panel circuit breaker so you don't have to carry fuses for it. I don't remember what it cost new, not much more than PL8 mentioned above well worth the extra $50.00 or so. In any case there are many good protection units out there I wouldn't run without one.

Comment

We have Furman's on all the racks at the studio where I hang out. They're fun to pull out the little lights when your bored. Never used one in my personal rig, but if I had a few grand worth of stuff, I'd say it's a lot better than a regular surge protector, and not terribly expensive.

Comment

I've had a PL-Plus in my rack for years. It's never given me a problem and I've never lost a piece of gear. Well worth the minimal investment IMHO.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

the pl8 is just a powerstrip, the pl8+ conditions, and makes sure you have 120 all the time. furman also makes real power conditioners, but they are very pricey.

dave

Comment

So I outta get one like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23792

Comment

You don't need a few grand worth of rack gear for one of these to be worthwhile. I only have a korg tuner and my wireless in my little rack box, then I plug my amp and effects board into it. Damned if I want to buy another $265 tuner or $250 wireless because I thought $100 worth of power conditioner was not really needed. That's just my opinion though.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Willie - Someone else here can probably fill you in a bit more but IIRC, the P* series is the entry-level with noise filtering and surge/spike suppression; the next step up is the AR-* series which actually regulates the voltage in addition to filtering noise out and performing surge/spike supperession and the even more expensive IT-* series are the high-current top-of-the-line models (basically expanded AR-*s). The one you linked is what I've used for a number of years and it's worked well for me but YMMV.
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

after some more research...

yeah, like said, those PL series units supress the spikes in the voltage, which is what ususally blows equipment up (the PL plus is also the same). They also eliminate componets of frequency different than the regular AC, such that you dont hear any noise travelling on the power line. However you gotta go to the AR series for the unit to do something about consistent voltage deficiencies.

The PL units with the graphic displays (like the plus) tell you the voltage level but do nothing to adjust it. They just provide information like a voltmeter.

I just got a RR-15, which is only the peak/noise suppresion one. Thats gotta do for now, no more money... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

[ April 11, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Working...
                      X